Thermostats for new Oklahoma Joe Longhorn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tending a fire all night long vs setting and forgetting. I'm thinking the Brisket on the OKJ for the smoke ring and perhaps a 7hr smoke at 275F. Putting the picnic in the MES with hickory chips for a 13hr smoke at 225F overnight for really tender/juicy pulled pork. I'm human after all and I know damn well I'd fall asleep on the brisket overnight on a slow smoke. Its happened once already but I lucked out when my fire died. Remarkably, the brisket came out pretty tender albeit a tad overdone. 
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited:
One of the best threads I have seen on thermometers convection plates and coal baskets for the OK Joe.I plan to take the pics and specs I got from here and take them to a metal/welding shop to see if someone can make these for me.I hope you guys don't mind me doing that. Let me know.

What did you do about the gap on the side by the fire box? I have about a 1/4" gap because of the curvature of the barrel, I was thinking about stuffing tin foil in the gap..bad idea? what do you suggest?

Here is a picture that shows my additional "Tel-Tru" thermometers as purchased from FireCraft - they were $25 each:

Skifreak,

Did you do any sort of RTV sealant (or similar) on the back side of your new thermometers? Or did you just drill a hole that was tight enough to not lose smoke? If the ladder, what size hole, if you recall?

Also, I cant find the post, but you had talked about using a drop in baffle instead of the diffuser plate (until you made one). Do you remember how thick the drop in baffle was along with the tuning plates?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky