Thermometers - Maverick 732 vs 733

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have the 732, and it has served me well. After just finding out about and watching a review video on the 733, plus what I have read here, I plan on placing my order on Amazon and it should be here Monday.

Because of the high cost of just about everything I smoke, I do take advantage of the smoker temp settings that is available on the unit, just in case I messed up on the cook time I set (MES 40 owner here) or in case the power goes out, etc etc etc.

But I HATE how you have to set the temps on the 732 since there is no up and down buttons and you have to cycle through the entire range of temps to get the one you want. With the 733 having that option, it's worth the extra $10 to me. And the hybrid probes is a plus, too. IMHO.

Happy smoking!! :)

Last edited:
Do you guys use these probes on ribs?  Does it work or do you end up too close to the bone, throwing off the readings?

I don't use the meat probe on pork ribs, just the chamber probe. Time and the bend test tells me when they are done.
That's exactly how I used my ET-733 yesterday. Placed on probe on the right side of a rack and the 2nd on the left side of the rack below it to test temp differences in my MES 30 Gen 1 while I cooked 3 racks of ribs. The ET-733 performed flawlessly. Changing settings is a little bit of hassle which is why I keep the owners manual in front of me. If I smoked more often I'd remember the procedure by heart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky