Thermometer Probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chiefsfan

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 7, 2023
Id like to keep Thermometer tight the inside of the smoker.. Id like the.....and heres what Im having trouble naming.. Ive seen the probe clips that hold it (spring kinda thing) with holes but my probe is 1/4 inch in dia. so slide it thru 2 holes while pinching it then let go and it keeps it tight, kinds like some Ive seen that has a temp probe in the dome/lid of a smoker but mine needs to he heavy duty/larger holes.. Now that Ive butchered the description, anyone know what Im talking about?

Reactions: JLeonard
Use a small potato if you can't find clips that fit your probe and smoker.

Use a small potato if you can't find clips that fit your probe and smoker.
I guess probe is the incorrect term, Im sorry. Im installing a thermometer, drilling holes etc in an insulated electric smoker and wanting to secure it all on the side of the smoker.

Sorry about that Chief. I thought you were talking about an external probe. I think a tel-tru thermometer is what your looking for. Or something similar.

Chris

Sorry about that Chief. I thought you were talking about an external probe. I think a tel-tru thermometer is what your looking for. Or something similar.

Chris
I have the new thermometer, I didnt know it had such a large dial, but thats ok. I checked the calibration in boiling water already iand its right on the money. It has a 5 inch long shaft and of course some is taken away from the thickness of the smoker wall, the shaft is .25 in. in dia. and was thinking of sliding one of those things I cant think of that has 2 holes you slide it up and snuds it in place when you release it, but I cant think of what its called.. Its kinds like the probe holder but with larger holes

I think the grill clips you are talking about would not be strong enough to hold your large thermometer to the side wall or door. Where ever you drilled for it.

Does not yours come with threads for a nut install on the inside of wall ( I know you would have thought of that, but just asking )
There are also slide on nuts for smooth shank rods that will hold things tight, thin metal with a hole and slits , check out your local hardware store for this

David

I think the grill clips you are talking about would not be strong enough to hold your large thermometer to the side wall or door. Where ever you drilled for it.

Does not yours come with threads for a nut install on the inside of wall ( I know you would have thought of that, but just asking )
There are also slide on nuts for smooth shank rods that will hold things tight, thin metal with a hole and slits , check out your local hardware store for this

David
Thanks for the reply. Yes it has nut and they sent a washer as well. When I put washer on the threads and insert it, its awesome right there.. and I do have a deep socket to fit the nut. But the nut juuuuuuust barely is smaller than the hole.Just thought if I could slide on a bigger washer with a small hole and then slide the clip on it would hold better..

Reactions: DRKsmoking
In case folks want to see your other similar thread:

Feel free to add pictures if you are having a hard time describing the issue/problem.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it has nut and they sent a washer as well. When I put washer on the threads and insert it, its awesome right there.. and I do have a deep socket to fit the nut. But the nut juuuuuuust barely is smaller than the hole.Just thought if I could slide on a bigger washer with a small hole and then slide the clip on it would hold better..
What not get a washer bigger than the one you have now (diameter wise). Use it first, then the washer that came with therm, then the nut?

Jim

Reactions: DRKsmoking
What not get a washer bigger than the one you have now (diameter wise). Use it first, then the washer that came with therm, then the nut?

Jim
Got it fixed up I think..Found Washer this am with same size hole but over all OD was smaller in order to place it thru the interior hole I made then the nut. Stuffed it full of steel wool then a large washer with a small hole over the probe and and a grill clip slid up just to hold that large washer in place..

Update..... Not working very well...So I finally got the new Thermometer in the smoker. Mounted it on the side...So I put hot water in the water pan... Set smoker to 225 ..I removed the chip tray that sat right above the element...Got AMAZEN tray going.. sat it inside to the far left..It wont stay lit..Maybe slide it over at least to where the element is??.. PLus went to ck the temp.. The one on the control panel showed 181..New one was already at 250... Ive reset the control panel to 200... Now Ill wait to see what new one reads.. New one was checked in boiling water and it was right on the money 212. Not sure what to do about air flow tho.. all I have in the vent on top.

Update..... Not working very well...So I finally got the new Thermometer in the smoker. Mounted it on the side...So I put hot water in the water pan... Set smoker to 225 ..I removed the chip tray that sat right above the element...Got AMAZEN tray going.. sat it inside to the far left..It wont stay lit..Maybe slide it over at least to where the element is??.. PLus went to ck the temp.. The one on the control panel showed 181..New one was already at 250... Ive reset the control panel to 200... Now Ill wait to see what new one reads.. New one was checked in boiling water and it was right on the money 212. Not sure what to do about air flow tho.. all I have in the vent on top.
Pic = 1000 words. I'm no expert myself but I'm having a hard time visualizing whats going on, and those that are experts here probably could help more.

OK.. I've read through the whole thread then back for a second look... Did I miss which smoker the probe is being installed in and tested ?

Do you by any chance have a external probe (wired)?

I agree with pictures

OK.. I've read through the whole thread then back for a second look... Did I miss which smoker the probe is being installed in and tested ?

Do you by any chance have a external probe (wired)?

I agree with pictures
Ok I'll have to take some.. Yes I mentioned it. Is a Landmann.. No external probe.i bought a new one drilled into the side and installed it yesterday.

Something I learned when setting up precise temperature control and monitoring for laboratory incubators and ovens is that the temperature inside of any oven will vary WILDLY from place to place.

With no active air stirring, the variations can be absolutely appalling.

And even with a fan-forced or "stirred" oven, you'll be surprised at how much the temperature varies from place to place in the enclosure.

But still, active stirring of the air is required if you want anything like uniform temperatures from place to place in any oven.

So don't be too surprised or quick to blame the calibration of the probes.

When I calibrated and tested the precision probes and measuring systems in lab ovens, I would take the probes out of the ovens, place them in intimate contact with the reference probe, wrap copper wire around the bundle to hold them together and help conduct heat between them, and then put that whole bundle into a "well" in a precision heated block of aluminum and then stuff insulation in behind the bundle to prevent any airflow into the well.

In my custom made temperature calibration gadget, I set it up so I could also fill the calibration "well" with heat transfer oil as well.

Doing that, I could calibrate to within a couple of hundredths of a degree C over a reasonable range.

Then I'd put the probes back into the oven in question, and again see variations of 15 degrees C or more from probe to probe. The lab QC guys would not like this, but when I showed them the logged graphs of the calibrations, they had to just come to terms with how bad the typical, allegedly "precision" fancy laboratory ovens really truly were!

So when I encounter these variations from place to place in a smoker, I don't like it, but I know it's a fact of life. When calibrating a controller, I've wire-wrapped my reference thermometer's probe directly to the controller's probe to make sure I was really truly calibrating the controller and its probe.

Now if the probe isn't positioned in an ideal place to really give it the best "view" of the average temperature in the smoker, then that's a different problem entirely. ;)

Reactions: dr k
Something I learned when setting up precise temperature control and monitoring for laboratory incubators and ovens is that the temperature inside of any oven will vary WILDLY from place to place.

With no active air stirring, the variations can be absolutely appalling.

And even with a fan-forced or "stirred" oven, you'll be surprised at how much the temperature varies from place to place in the enclosure.

But still, active stirring of the air is required if you want anything like uniform temperatures from place to place in any oven.

So don't be too surprised or quick to blame the calibration of the probes.

When I calibrated and tested the precision probes and measuring systems in lab ovens, I would take the probes out of the ovens, place them in intimate contact with the reference probe, wrap copper wire around the bundle to hold them together and help conduct heat between them, and then put that whole bundle into a "well" in a precision heated block of aluminum and then stuff insulation in behind the bundle to prevent any airflow into the well.

In my custom made temperature calibration gadget, I set it up so I could also fill the calibration "well" with heat transfer oil as well.

Doing that, I could calibrate to within a couple of hundredths of a degree C over a reasonable range.

Then I'd put the probes back into the oven in question, and again see variations of 15 degrees C or more from probe to probe. The lab QC guys would not like this, but when I showed them the logged graphs of the calibrations, they had to just come to terms with how bad the typical, allegedly "precision" fancy laboratory ovens really truly were!

So when I encounter these variations from place to place in a smoker, I don't like it, but I know it's a fact of life. When calibrating a controller, I've wire-wrapped my reference thermometer's probe directly to the controller's probe to make sure I was really truly calibrating the controller and its probe.

Now if the probe isn't positioned in an ideal place to really give it the best "view" of the average temperature in the smoker, then that's a different problem entirely. ;)
Heat stacking with a water heater is similar to the venting of heat out the top of a Mes smoker while you can see the heat/smoke cascading down the window in a natural convection heating swirl. That's why I thread the probe down the top vent which is the hottest point 3" lower or so before ultimately swirling itself out the top vent. My PID controller sensor will always be hanging near my food and not by my element or any other place. All other probes are within 10 degrees in the Mes 40. The Mes 30 is great with just the OEM controller and gets to 275+ which my stock Mes 40s never did so I had to PID the Mes 40s.

Reactions: sigmo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky