Thermometer for Brinkmann Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vtskier

Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, we have a Brinkmann vertical smoker we're in the process of restoring, and for novelty's sake, we're looking to get a new warm/ideal/hot thermometer to put on the lid, as the one currently on there is stained and filled with water. I've seen people posting pics of their smokers with newer-looking warm/ideal/hot thermometers, I'm aware they went out of business recently, finding parts (particularly the charcoal/water bowls) has been a challenge. Only one I found online is the one with the French translations. If anyone could help out that would be appreciated, thanks!
(This is what we're looking for, sorry for bad photo quality)
1623068736982.png

I just found a different one and drilled a new hole for mine. It attached with a wing nut on the back side.

20210607_080051.jpg

Reactions: vtskier
The Brinkman was my first smoker also. Kind of sad they are out of business. I have fond memories of that old cooker. I would love to see some pics of it when you get it restored.

Edit:
Wait a minute. Hey vtskier, welcome to SMF from KC. We're glad you joined us.

This doesn't relate to the thermometer, but we're also looking for the proper paint to paint our smoker. I heard that Rustoleum High Heat Ultra is the best paint for this, but they do not make it in red. Does anyone know of any alternatives? Thanks

Not sure if the color is an exact match with the original but the paint can go up to 900 degrees.

They make more than a dozen High Temp paint colors.. but please read the instructions as it doesn't go on like regular spray paint. There's extra steps to set the paint by heating it up.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Anyone have experience with that brake caliper paint or similar ones designed for engines? I saw one made for engines (Rustoleum) and it went up to 2000 degrees, apparently a curing process is required so it doesn't just melt right off upon first use. Since this isn't something we can really do, I was wondering if anyone was aware of a paint that didn't require this.

I think if you used the 2K degree paint and fire that thing up it'll get hot enough to set it.

As KC said above, the high temp paints require a curing process.
The 2000 degree engine paint is probably a ceramic type.
The high temp Rustoleum is what most people use on the outside of their smokers and grills.
I could have sworn that Rustoleum made a red high temp paint...
Do you have your heart set on red? If not, then there is always the standard black and green.
But yeah, red would be a sweet color and something not everyone has.

Ok.. I finally got time to head into the garage.

First of all.. I do remember some of the Brinkman's coming in red.

The Chevy Red/Orange was chosen for my trailer as it's a close match to the Pearl Orange on my Toyota Tacoma. Only the trailer was painted this color. The tank was painted with the higher temp black.

This is NOT the color you want for your smoker... they make an actual RED that you should seek out.

I included images of the directions for you to reference.

20210607_192017.jpg

20210607_192058.jpg

20210607_192105.jpg

20210607_192129.jpg

20210607_192036.jpg
20210607_192047.jpg

20210607_192219.jpg

Didn't buy ours new, but it looks like it hasn't been modified. Got it at some thrift sale for 5 bucks a decade or so ago, it's red. Some surface rust but the metal is in good shape, the bowls were the real problem (managed to find some on ebay). Will look into the Engine Enamel paint.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky