The unoffical SMF marinara/gravy thread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
I was inspired for this idea in another thread. Anyone willing to share? Advice or suggestions welcome. Not looking for anyone to give up those family recipes or secrets (but will take them if you give them). :emoji_laughing:

We make a pretty good one but not perfect yet. I am fairly sure if I added some pork or pork fat it would be on point but wife is no go. I will start by giving one of the best tips I ever got: Do NOT cook it long. Cooking a long time cooks off the natural tomato flavor and aroma. This tip comes from a multi-generational Italian restaurant owner.

Anyone else want to play along?

Last edited:
I make a ton of different kinds of gravy. I'd be here for three days typing them out so I;ll stick with our go-to marinara. Quite simple and I got it from a member here.

1 large (28 oz??) can of Certified San Marzano tomatoes
1 T minced garlic
1 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper

Put in a blender or food processor and pulse lightly till mixed.

This is our pizza sauce, calzone sauce, and dipping marinara for strombolis, and anything else similar. I don't mind it cold right out of the fridge for dipping but Tracy will heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds.

Robert

We had a guy that became famous here in Texoma, PO Sams for his spicy BBQ brown gravy. I have his actual recipe a friend paid $1500 dollars for but it starts by boiling a whole beef clod. Not going to do that but this a copy cat recipe I have been using. Take this over BBQ sauce any day.

Spicy Brown Gravy Sauce

1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 quart of smoked brisket drippings
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste

Add ingredients to the smoked brisket drippings while warm and whisk briskly over simmering heat.

Last edited:
Could just be me, but I consider marinara and sauce, aka gravy, two different animals. Marinara is tomato forward and not cooked very long. Sauce is a blended symphony of flavors, often involving sausage, chicken, beef, or pork, cooked at least 3-4 hours that is best the second day.

Garlic, tomatoes, and herbs are essential in both marinara and sauce.

I make a ton of different kinds of gravy. I'd be here for three days typing them out so I;ll stick with our go-to marinara. Quite simple and I got it from a member here.

1 T minced garlic
1 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper

This is our pizza sauce, calzone sauce, and dipping marinara for strombolis, and anything else similar. I don't mind it cold right out of the fridge for dipping but Tracy will heat it up in the microwave for a few seconds.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I will try that. Simple is usually better for sure. Question: drain tomatoes?

Talk about simple... I have been meaning to try since we're into onion: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

Could just be me, but I consider marinara and sauce, aka gravy, two different animals. Marinara is tomato forward and not cooked very long.

It's not just you :emoji_wink: Those are my thoughts exactly that's why I stayed away from the gravy aspect and just tossed my .02 in the till for marinara...and I'll probably get some change back.

Question: drain tomatoes?

I don't. I just dump the whole can right into the Ninja, add the few seasonings, and pulse gently.

Robert

Reactions: zwiller

1 T minced garlic
1 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper

Robert

Might have to try this with sugar added. Love a good sweet sauce on my pizza.

We had a guy that became famous here in Texoma for his spicy BBQ brown gravy. I have his actual recipe a friend paid $1500 dollars for but it starts by boiling a whole beef clod. Not going to do that but this a copy cat recipe I have been using. Take this over BBQ sauce any day.

Spicy Brown Gravy Sauce

1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

Add ingredients to the smoked brisket drippings while warm and whisk briskly over simmering heat.

I have tried several times to make Po Sam's gravy. I've thrown all of them out (LOL) I've tried the recipe you've posted and another one I found on the inner webs. I guess I'm not much of a sauce maker......... But I don't give up! To this day, I've never had anything like it including from Williams BBQ (no longer in business) or from Perk's (in Bells/Savoy??) Both of their gravy was good though - very close.

That original recipe is very much sought after for sure, as you already know.

I can remember as a kid and getting the chopped beef sandwich and I like the heat! As I got older I'd go there with friends and eat the combo plate with that spicy gravy just sweating the whole time and washing it down with a cold Budweiser. Good times on the old river road!

We had a guy that became famous here in Texoma for his spicy BBQ brown gravy. I have his actual recipe a friend paid $1500 dollars for but it starts by boiling a whole beef clod. Not going to do that but this a copy cat recipe I have been using. Take this over BBQ sauce any day.

Spicy Brown Gravy Sauce

1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

A whole beef clod weighs in around 30-40#'s... That doesn't sound right.....

Sauce goes on pasta, gravy goes on mashed taters. I think it all might be just a case of east-west, north-south wording. These days I go with Classico for sauce, toss in a little garlic and olive oil, let it cook down and thicken a bit, use it on pasta, pizza, and whatever else might call for tomato sauce. My friend Robert, tx smoker tx smoker , taught me how to make gravy, so I don't use the packaged stuff anymore, except for Hollandaise sauce, then I use Knorr's. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
I can remember as a kid and getting the chopped beef sandwich and I like the heat! As I got older I'd go there with friends and eat the combo plate with that spicy gravy just sweating the whole time and washing it down with a cold Budweiser. Good times on the old river road!

I was river rat for many years hanging down on the river below the dam. When I took this job driving 5 days a week to Dallas I don't go much anymore. One of the things looking forward to retiring is going back down there again. You may know one of my oldest friends Dennis Waters from Cartwright.

Could just be me, but I consider marinara and sauce, aka gravy, two different animals. Marinara is tomato forward and not cooked very long. Sauce is a blended symphony of flavors, often involving sausage, chicken, beef, or pork, cooked at least 3-4 hours that is best the second day.

Garlic, tomatoes, and herbs are essential in both marinara and sauce.
A lot of Italians consider marinara their "Sunday gravy" which is where my mind went to when I read the tread title. In my family marinara can and often does simmer for 2 to 3 days or more.
True marinara has very few ingredients tomatoes fresh or canned, onion, garlic, herbs and good olive oil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky