The Ultimate Mushroom & Swiss Patty Melt (W Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Tracy decreed Sunday that she wanted burgers for dinner. Ok...I asked what kind? I mean heck, there are a lot of options where burgers are concerned. She said the wanted a "regular" burger...whatever that is. Opposed to an irregular burger I guess. I didn't mind burgers but wanted something other than a same ol' same ol' burger so decided to amp it up a bit Been a long time since I had a mushroom Swiss patty melt so that was my decision but also wanted more than just sauteed mushrooms. Ok...let's make a decadent mushroom gravy. Hmmm...sounds good to me, so off we go!! This one is dedicated to my brother from the same gravy mother, Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ). He and I share a deep passion for gravy and it's running through our veins, as I imagine it is with a lot of folks here.

Let's get the gravy going. Mushrooms in the pan with lots of butter and fresh minced garlic
005.jpg

Cook down for a bit and add flour to make the roux
006.jpg

Mix in the flour and add beef broth, beef bouillon, minced onion, and black pepper. That's it, and sorry I didn't measure anything
007.jpg

I'm weird. I keep large bags of fresh shredded Swiss cheese on hand, along with a bunch of other kinds of cheese
008.jpg

Gravy all done. This stuff is over the top good!!
009.jpg

Grill up a couple nice 1/2 pound CPB burgers, put the bottom half of a ciabatta bun in the CI skillet, and put the burger on the bun
012.jpg

Add gravy...lots of gravy, like almost fill the skillet with it. Is this better Ryan? Last time you said I didn't use enough :emoji_laughing:
016.jpg

Pile on a whole bunch of cheese
018.jpg

Onto the grill and cover with a large pan to facilitate the melting of the cheese
020.jpg

Merciful heavens!! This looks crazy good
022.jpg

I guess this pretty much says it all. Couldn't open the burger any further because the gravy was flowing over the sides of the skillet
028.jpg

Patty melts have been one of my favorites for a long long time but I've never had one quite like this before!! This one set the bar for being the best I've ever had and in all honesty, it was the mushroom gravy that sent it over the top. That stuff is so easy to make but so incredibly good. I'm turning into quite the gravy monster making all sorts of different flavors to go with many different types of meals, but something about the beefiness of this was spectacular. Let's not forget all that melted cheese though. OMG!! What a mess that was but I wouldn't have traded it for any dinner in the world that night.

This one is a wrap. Once again, thanks for dropping in, stay safe, and look forward to seeing all y'all in the next installment of craziness I may conjure up....or what amazing stuff you all might put together for our viewing pleasure.

Robert

Well done Robert, a wonderful piece of work, Like! Due to your posts I now know how to make gravy. Making a long awaited meatloaf for dinner tonight, but alas, I'm a ketchup guy when it comes to the Loaf of Life. RAY

Damn son! I don't know if you got enough gravy on there I think you could have gotten more. Looks awesome man nice job on that!

Robert, looks awesome and delicious! You did it again man. So I guess you had some Burger with your gravy? LOL. I can safely say "I'll have what he's having" Great work once again.
Thanks for continuing this trek and sharing.

I'd say you have the perfect amount of gravy! I absolutely love it! And looks fantastic. And you still have half a bun to sop up the remaining gravy.

Great job!
Ryan

She said the wanted a "regular" burger...whatever that is. Opposed to an irregular burger I guess.

That's like when someone says "Be safe",as opposed to being unsafe.I've worked in construction for over 30 years...safe is a given.

That made my day!

Btw that's a damn good looking burger.

Killer! Robert, there is not enough time to try to make all the good stuff you post my friend..till i retire...hmm

Good gravy that looks delicious! I'll be thinking about this for the rest of the day now! I'll probably have a really weird dream tonight about a steer taking a bath in a bathtub full of mushroom gravy ....using a hamburger bun as a wash sponge. Possibly a giant slice of Swiss cheese hanging on the towel rack in the background..lol! Awesome meal Robert! Nice job!

Looks delicious Robert. As many respected members have pointed out that is one fine skillet of amazing. I would wolf that down for sure. Kind of blows my mind to think someone would compare it to something less than fantastic. You’d almost wonder if maybe they needed cataract surgery or more likely a headfrombuttectomy LOL.

Kind of blows my mind to think someone would compare it to something less than fantastic. You’d almost wonder if maybe they needed cataract surgery or more likely a headfrombuttectomy LOL.

Probably have something to do with one person being envious of another person's culinary talent and creativity Jeff. Aside from that well you know what they say, you can't fix stupid. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky