The Spinner Learning Curve

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
About a month back the rotisserie / pizza setup for my 22" weber arrived at my door, I was fairly pumped to get it going. My first effort was going to be Cornish game hens using the baskets with some hickory chunks seasoned up with Yardbird rub.
DSCN3777.JPG

I thought the cook would take a couple of hours, was I ever wrong about that, pulled after one hour, set them over the sink and was pondering tossing them, looked like they were cooked in a forge
DSCN3779.JPG

Much to my surprise they were juicy and delicious, just ugly, and presentation counts. For cook #2 I thought I'd shake things up by going with the SnS and hickory on a whole yardbird, seasoned up like the first one
DSCN3782.JPG

I was getting closer tho still not quite what I was looking for
DSCN3783.JPG

Once again the looks were deceiving, plated up with some slaw and beans, juicy and a darned fine dinner.
DSCN3784.JPG

I was about to retire the whole setup up to the shed but took the advice of my good buds chopsaw chopsaw , SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , and tx smoker tx smoker , keep at it! Cook #3 was back to game hens, this time using the charcoal chain method with hickory. I like hickory! Seasoned up with Yardbird like before
DSCN3819.JPG

After 90 minutes gave the hens a coating of honey-apricot sauce, looking like more of what I had in mind
DSCN3821.JPG

Pulled for a rest on the counter
DSCN3823.JPG

Plated up with a cauliflower mash and some zukes, M-O-N-E-Y!
DSCN3824.JPG

Now that I'd seen the light it was time to go on to bigger game. Same snake setup on the Weber.
DSCN3827.JPG

Leg-o-lamb roast, S & CBP
DSCN3828.JPG

Pulled at 132º, pretty happy!
DSCN3829.JPG

Plated up with a mash, spargees, and applesauce, I've got this dialed now!
DSCN3830.JPG

It took a little time and a few cooks to get things where I wanted, now I'm loving that spinner, one of the best tools in the box! A winner never quits and a quitter never wins. That's it for this time, thanks for lookin' in and y'all say safe out there! RAY

Looks like you have it dialed in now Ray! I bet those hens can be tricky due to their size.

I need to break out the 22 rotisserie again, did a whole bird last time but now I have 3 Ducks sitting in the freezer that need to go for a spin.

NICE ! I see nothing but flavor in all the cooks , but I understand what you're saying .
Really nice work Ray , really nice . I've been wanting to get mine back out .
Thanks for posting .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks mighty tasty. I see you had to clean the camera lens a few times......:emoji_yum:

Looks like you have it dialed in now Ray! I bet those hens can be tricky due to their size.

I need to break out the 22 rotisserie again, did a whole bird last time but now I have 3 Ducks sitting in the freezer that need to go for a spin.
Thanks Clifish! I'm thinking the size of the fire makes the most difference. The SnS and baskets cooked the bird a lot faster with no where near the smoke flavor as the snake method, tho both were still nice and juicy, just not very pretty to my eye. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

NICE ! I see nothing but flavor in all the cooks , but I understand what you're saying .
Really nice work Ray , really nice . I've been wanting to get mine back out .
Thanks for posting .
Hell Rich, had it not been for you Stu, and Robert I'd have most likely tossed the thing in the shed never to be seen again, I truly appreciate the advice and encouragement you guys gave me. Just another great aspect of this forum, getting to know some fine people with great experience, and willing to share it. Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated! RAY

Looks mighty tasty. I see you had to clean the camera lens a few times......:emoji_yum:
Thanks Boykjo, now I've got confidence to spin a little prime on this thing. My food camera is the size of a credit card, I can't get my little finger to clean the lens! RAY

By golly Ray...looks dang good to me! We should be neighbors...I could sure suffer through some of your unsatisfied cooks to you! But glad you have it dialed in...I know what you're saying.

Ryan

Boy oh boy Ray. I would have a go at any of those meals. But for looks , once you got the twin game hens dialed in . Fantastic colour, and made my mouth water. Nice

David
Thanks David! Once I found the method I was seeking it was a piece of cake. Other's may find different ways of cooking works for them, what ever blows your dress up, tho I haven't worn one, at least now yet! Ray

By golly Ray...looks dang good to me! We should be neighbors...I could sure suffer through some of your unsatisfied cooks to you! But glad you have it dialed in...I know what you're saying.

Ryan
Dang Ryan, I'd love having you as a neighbor! I'd be looking forward to eating at your place about as often as I had you over to mine, which would be a lot! Thanks for the Like Ryan, I do appreciate it RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That third attempt looks perfect Ray. Those hens sound and look real tasty.

Point for sure
Chris

They all look good to me Ray, the honey - apricot birds make me drool. Quick learning curve and good work. :emoji_thumbsup:
The honey-apricot glaze was a copycat from watching my buddy Stu, aka SecondHandSmoker SecondHandSmoker , spun a couple of hens that came out looking dynamite, it's sold at Ace Hdwre. I couldn't find it at my local Ace and ended up mixing some honey and apricot in a pot on the stovetop, worked! Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray all of those look fantastic!!! I need someone in the family to get me one for my bday!
I got this spinner / pizza setup from Amazon Furm, haven't tried a pizza yet. Weber sells a spinner setup that a hundred bucks more, this one fits and works great, motor is silent. Thanks for the Like Furm, much appreciated! RAY

That third attempt looks perfect Ray. Those hens sound and look real tasty.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, that the look I was hoping for after seeing Stu's hens. The snake/chain method on the charcoal made the difference for me, that the way I'll go from now on. Thanks for the Like Chris, much appreciated! RAY

If you want the rotisserie and pizza option I got this for my 22 - $79.99 and also works great. Not sure why it says $99.99 below when I click on it it is $79.99

That's a better deal than I got, think I paid $129 and now it's 20 bucks more! Don't know if I'll ever even use the pizza thing, I really like what comes out of a 450º oven, seems the Weber would get a lot hotter. RAY

That's a better deal than I got, think I paid $129 and now it's 20 bucks more! Don't know if I'll ever even use the pizza thing, I really like what comes out of a 450º oven, seems the Weber would get a lot hotter. RAY
yeah I already have a wood fired smaller oven in PA...that and being a type 2 diabetic I don't need anymore encouragement to eat pizza.

sawhorseray sawhorseray

Ray

In my opinion looks are only for the fancy hi-end restaurants so they can charge a fortune for a thimble full of food.

If it tastes great then you have achieved the important final end result. There have been many dishes I have had that looked fabulous but tasted like they should have been road kill.

Looks count to a degree but how it tastes is the measuring stick.

There is a story behind this but this guy I called "The Firewalker." Looked like a Ho Bo with tattered clothing but was the best turkey I ever tasted.
full.jpeg

It does seem that you are achieving both taste and looks though,

Have fun,

John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky