The smokiness of my bacon changed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ocean82

Original poster
May 1, 2012
VA Beach, VA
This was my first time making bacon. I used a pink salt, salt, brown sugar, maple syrup brine for a week then hot smoked as low as I could it over cherrywood for about 3 hours. I set it in the fridge overnight and sliced it up the next morning. It tasted great, but the smokiness was almost overpowering. Now, it's a week later and my bacon's smokiness seems to have subsided and it's perfect! I know this happens with cheese, but is this a normal thing with bacon? If so, what about the bacon I froze? Will that thaw out less smokey or will it have to thaw and rest a few days? 

Thanks

It is normal for it to mellow after a few days rest. I usually let my bacon rest a few days before I slice it and package it.

It will mellow out when it's frozen too, but slower from what I've found. I cold smoke my bacon, 6hrs a day over three to four days for a total of 18-24 hours. Then I let it mellow in the fridge for 3-4 days prior to slicing and packaging.

Thanks for the replies. 

That's a lot of smoke. Seems excessive. Isn't there a point where a slab of meat can't absorb any more smoke? I had mine on for 3 hours and even after the mellowing out period I still taste the smoke. 

Last edited:
It sounds like a lot but you cold smoke much longer than you hot smoke. I actually find that a longer cold smoke has a much mellower smoke flavor than something hot smoked over a short period. I hot smoked bacon once, then built a cold smoker and haven't looked back. Tastes more like....... Well, bacon.

Thanks for the replies. 

That's a lot of smoke. Seems excessive. Isn't there a point where a slab of meat can't absorb any more smoke? I had mine on for 3 hours and even after the mellowing out period I still taste the smoke. 
Ocean, evening....  Did you use mesquite or some other strong flavored wood.  ???  Maybe you were smoking with too much smoke....  Thin Blue Smoke TBS is what you should be looking for....  I have over smoked food using strong flavored wood and too much smoke...

It is a learning curve...   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky