The Sausage Maker Poultry Brine mixing directions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you Dave! I think this part of the post says it all.

"At first sight it may seem that there is an excessive amount of nitrite in water. The answer is that only a small percentage will be absorbed by meat during the immersion process. "

When it says it will cure 100 lbs of meat it is referring to being mixed with ground meat! As stated above. brineing is subject to absorbtion of the brine in the SOLID piece of meat.

Thank ALL of you for your help with this .. The Breast and the doves go into the Smokintex 1460 today and we will see the final outcome this evening.

If the breast are boneless I have been doing the following:

* Take the two half breast and put the side that is toward the bone together.
* Make sure you flip one of the breast so you end up the thin end of one breast matches up to the thick end off the other.
* this should give you a uniformed shape so you don't have a think and thing end.
* Then take butcher twine and tie the two together. every inch or so.
* Now you have a log shaped breast that will cook and smoke more evenly so you don't have a under or over smoked/cooked product.

This is what I always do when smoking breast that is if they are boneless.

Just a thought.

Good luck!!!

* this should give you a uniformed shape so you don't have a think and thing end.

Sorry, this should be thick and thin end.

Well it took 16 hours to get to 152 degrees IT but it was well worth the effort ! It turned out fantastic and the doves were done much sooner and they were great also. Not overly salty tasting at all.

Glad it came out good for you if you did another turkey would you change anything? 16 hours is a long time what wood and was it to much smoke or really good. In case you couldn't tell I'm thinking I need to try a turkey this way. Thanks

Glad it came out good for you if you did another turkey would you change anything? 16 hours is a long time what wood and was it to much smoke or really good. In case you couldn't tell I'm thinking I need to try a turkey this way. Thanks
Well it was a LONG time but I followed the directions from TSM . The only thing I would do differently is start it around bedtime so it will finish in the morning vs 1 am . I had to get up to turn the smoker off. I used a 2 oz chunk of hickory and that flavored the breast good. The SmokinTex smokers don't use a lot of wood to smoke meat 2 - 4 oz is the max. That little piece of wood will smoke for 4 hours and it's the light blue smoke. Also I will try a different wood next time just for comparison . I am taking it to the next trap shoot all sliced up for snacks and it won't last long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky