The Saga

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lancep

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 6, 2016
North Mississippi
So, two years ago, my wife and I decided to relocate to the Memphis area. With young children, schools were very important, so we ended up settling in north Mississippi. In order to get into the school district we wanted, we ended up renting a house, online, that looked like a perfect fit. This house has been the worst place I may have ever lived in and I've lived in some crap holes. But, it got us were we needed to be so we've dealt with it. The plane was to move, find some land, and have a house built. Settling in took a wee bit longer than we thought and in September we finally found a 2 acre lot to build on. Since then we have trying to get under contract with two different builders. The first builder worked through all the plan with us, holding our hand and helping us customize our dream home. In March we finally signed the contract and it was sent to the builder, never to be signed. Complete 180! He wouldn't return calls or emails and in late April we finally gave up and took our plans to a new builder. After two months of feet dragging on his part, my wife said "screw it!" So here we are, sitting on a beautiful 3 acres in a house that is everything we were wanting and more. And the best part, I get a new smoker!!!!! So after much debate and research as well as a little hand wringing, I pulled the trigger on The Good One Open Range. What's funny to me is that searching reviews for that specific smoker is what led me to SMF. Spoke to Firecraft this morning and it should ship Monday, so I should see it by next Friday. Luckily, there is so much to do settling into the new house, I'll be too busy to worry about how long it's taking. Hope everyone is having good weeks and happy smokes.

Wow. Sounds like it all worked out great after all.

Can't want to see that new smoker in action

Got to love the ac going down,we used to get to many power outages for living in a larger city we use to get a room on these hot humid days as well. Luckily the outages have all but gone away.

Yeah, we tried to stand tough and sweat it out the first few days. But when the kids starting getting flush by 9 am we had to cut and run. We found the house online that day and went to see it the next!

Hey Lance!  I'm not one of those people, but sometimes I think things happen for a reason.  Hang in their friend, things will probably get better!  Thanks for sharing your saga with us.

Mike

Hey Lance!  I'm not one of those people, but sometimes I think things happen for a reason.  Hang in their friend, things will probably get better!  Thanks for sharing your saga with us.

Mike

We're not either but we definitely believe, at this point, that we weren't supposed to build that house. Not only did we get everything we wanted and more, but we got it at 75% of what we were looking at for the build. I'm so thankful right now that our AC went out. It's a little hectic right now but we are in a great space.

Congrats Lance. Trying to get a house built can be a total PIANO. I know all about it. Glad it worked out for you. But...if that pic is any indication, you've got a HUGE lawn to Mow. Sure hope you've got (or getting) a ride on mower. LOL.

Gary

Real nice Lance!

Great view!

Al

Thanks Al, sure is peaceful!

Congrats Lance. Trying to get a house built can be a total PIANO. I know all about it. Glad it worked out for you. But...if that pic is any indication, you've got a HUGE lawn to Mow. Sure hope you've got (or getting) a ride on mower. LOL.

Gary

Grand PIANO! And yes there is a lot to mow. Luckily, that view from the back porch spills into the neighbors property so it's not bad as it looks. We probably have about 2-2 1/2 acres to mow. And yes, there brand new John Deere in the garage!

Sounds like everything worked out for the best for you.  Congrats on the new smoker, I've had my eye on their Patio Jr. model, so I'll be curios to hear what you think about your Open Range.  Good luck with the new home.

Thanks, I really do believe everything worked out the way it was supposed to. I looked at the Patio Jr. as well but the boss authorized higher acquisition budget so I went for it. I'll keep everyone posted on how it works out and my thoughts on it.

WooHoo!!!! Shipping company called earlier to arrange delivery of the new smoker for Monday!!! can't freakin wait. Got a shoulder and a chicken, just need some ribs and brisket so I can put it through the paces. So excited!!

kewl.gif

hopmad.gif

kewl.gif

Congratulations on the new place and the shiny new smoker.

Very glad that it all worked out for your family.

Waiting to see the pictures.

Ed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky