The RT model of a summer dinner plate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So you know how all the cool cars of the day had the “RT” model..... well that’s what I call this dinner plate......
16C55F14-2269-4AE1-A2E8-07D034F4B0B2.jpeg

Smoked beef ribs with fresh picked and still natural sun warm tomato’s.....

So I have smoked, grilled, open fire roasted, and oven roasted these type of beef ribs at IT temps from 135 all the way to 208 and just about every combination of temp between and I have come to my fav preparation that gives me and the boy what we consider the the perfect beef rib......

So here it is...... heavily season them with the fav steak seasoning then plop them on the smoker at 265 for 3 hours..... then bingo perfection. I don’t look at them temp them or anything just put on and take off rest a bit and gobble up!!!!

So these are prime rib meat and the ideal IT for prime rib is 135 ish, however, the meat next to the bone is usually very marbled and very rich and the back of the bone can have up to 1/4 to 3/8 inch of fat.....when smoked to only 135 they are just too rich and too fat filled for me to enjoy......

So now the 265 for 3 hours..... this temp is high enough to “roast” the surface but not too hot were it over does it and dries it out.... next the combination of the temp and time causes just the right amount of fat rendering to cut the richness and makes more of the rib eatable....it even renders all the fat of the back off the bone so you get a seasoned bone you can chew on.......I have done over 20 racks this way over the past 5 months....

My final 1000 words is this.......
D0581949-982A-45CA-ABED-C91007B97242.jpeg

.....yum....

Last edited:
Awesome! And me too! Plus hope we start getting maters in like yours! And mmmmm good!

Ryan

Make me wanna lick the screen! Great looking plate. And I love a fresh sun warm 'mater.
Jim

You nailed those ribs Civil. Mators are finally starting to rippen around here.

Point for sure
Chris

Those ribs look awesome, will have to give those parameters a go.
Many thanks Nef! Its an easy cook but looks like you spent all day!
Awesome! And me too! Plus hope we start getting maters in like yours! And mmmmm good!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, ours just starting coming on last week and now they are just flying off.....We did 3 plants are we are getting like 15 a day now....I have been eating myself sick!
Make me wanna lick the screen! Great looking plate. And I love a fresh sun warm 'mater.
Jim
Much appreciation Jim! I have started wondering if It was a food dream as well! Sun warm maters are a happy place!
Very tasty looking plate!

- Jason
Many thanks Jason!

Last edited:
Reactions: millerbuilds
You nailed those ribs Civil. Mators are finally starting to rippen around here.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! Its a great day and the indication that its a good summer with the mators are picked for sure!
Absolute perfection. Nothing more needs to be said :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert.....I didn't bore you with the 1000 words...LOL
Gorgeous looking ribs! Only thing grows here is cactus and stuff with thorns, too dammed hot. RAY
Much appreciation Ray! You can eat the m cactus thingys too.....but they aren't the same.... maybe an airconditioned greenhouse?
Yup---Definitely an "RT" !!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, it raced right into my belly for sure!
Outstanding!

Stu
Many thanks Stu!

Well I guess I know how I will smoke my next rack of those ribs. As said above “Perfection”. On a side note, I sure wish we could get tomato’s like that here in Florida. We grow our own too, but they never look like that!
Al

Well I guess I know how I will smoke my next rack of those ribs. As said above “Perfection”. On a side note, I sure wish we could get tomato’s like that here in Florida. We grow our own too, but they never look like that!
Al
Much appreciation Al! It’s worth the try for sure! By the way these were done fully with the Costco pellets and if seen enough to say they give a very nice smoke flavor!

These maters are celebrities, I usually plant cold sets or early girls cause they produce about 20 days earlier but the celebrities ate just very balanced and a mild sweetness.
Great looking plate . Nice work as always .
Thanks chop!
Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words, but that picture just won't shut up. Very nice and thank you for the write up...
Loud mouth ribs.....sounds like a music festival....LOL

And you are welcome!
That's just great Civil. nice ribs and tomatoes

David
Many thanks David!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Here is today’s haul....... holy smokes maters breakfast lunch and dinner!!!! Not to mention snack time too!
E05187F3-8FD4-462C-BEE4-D4D0569B85BF.jpeg

Sun warmed snack.....just fresh cracked pepper and sea salt....
F6E6DA05-8CC2-4C4E-8DA4-6FA39F4B113A.jpeg

I didn’t post these but this was the rack I did about 10 days ago.....same 265/3 hours....this is what our Costco stocks now!!!
547F37BB-C7D8-42B2-A06A-665E52B3759E.jpeg

Had some of my wife home made bacon Mac & cheese and garden maters.....
9A4E04B1-6F09-4F73-A901-32E2157A5F2F.jpeg

If you look close you can see these maters were some of the first picked off the plants....they haven’t fully developed but still tasty!
9248A605-731D-4004-8DFA-6059EA43EFD4.jpeg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky