The return of an old member

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We were in Tampa/St Petersburg when I retired a coupleofyearsago. We now live in a rural county in MO where our county population is about 29,000. We love it.
That's why we're here in Hamilton county. We didn't want to leave Florida but we're tired of city life, crime, tourists, the list goes on.
Hamilton county: population approx. 14,000 inside of 520 sq. mi.
It's also the poorest county in Florida since there's only small businesses and no industry exclusive of farming. That includes tree farms for paper and cardboard.

The place kinda grows on you. Best way I can describe it, it's like living in an episode of "Andy of Mayberry."

Reactions: JLeonard and mr mac
Welcome back from upstate NY!
Thanks for the welcome!
I grew up on Long Island, ny. A little town called west Babylon.
Left in '78 or '79 - whatever year the blizzard was.
I do miss the mountains especially during autumn.

Reactions: Steve H
Well thank ya kindly, Mr. bmudd. Hamilton county here. Mostly rural / farm country.
We moved here 8 years ago from Brevard county (Melbourne area).
Just getting too old to deal with city life.
Suwannee County here

We moved here 8 years ago from Brevard county (Melbourne area).
Just getting too old to deal with city life.

My sister in law is in Palm Bay right now selling her winter house, her husband passed this summer.
Just put it on the market yesterday, someone is coming in on Sunday to see it, hope it sells for her soon.
It is in a over 55 park, one of the few that you actually own the land also , not just the house.

Nice area , but it has changed a lot in the last few years.

David

My sister in law is in Palm Bay right now selling her winter house, her husband passed this summer.
Just put it on the market yesterday, someone is coming in on Sunday to see it, hope it sells for her soon.
It is in a over 55 park, one of the few that you actually own the land also , not just the house.

Nice area , but it has changed a lot in the last few years.

David
Sorry to hear about your loss.
My first house I bought in 1982 was in Palm Bay. Back then it was a quiet little town and the south east side where I was had more vacant land than houses. Just a quiet little 'ol redneck town back then.
Last info I got on the old neighborhood is it's rapidly becoming a war zone. Some of the news I hear reminds me of the south Bronx.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Suwannee County here
Looks like we be neighbors.
I'm on county road 152, not to far from 41.
Go down a few miles and make a left at the swamp.
The wife's daughter and son in law are right near the Suwannee music park.

Reactions: bmudd14474
Sorry to hear about your loss.
My first house I bought in 1982 was in Palm Bay. Back then it was a quiet little town and the south east side where I was had more vacant land than houses. Just a quiet little 'ol redneck town back then.
Last info I got on the old neighborhood is it's rapidly becoming a war zone. Some of the news I hear reminds me of the south Bronx.

Thank you , yes it has been a bad year, glad when the new one comes around in a few weeks. Fingers crossed it is a little better.

Yes SIL and BIL were thinking about moving to other places last year when they were there , as even in the park they were in is having things going on and strange folks hanging around and driving through . She says she just does not feel that comfortable anymore.

The times they are a changing.

David

Welcome back from an old man but maybe not an old member.

Warren
Well I do thank ya kindly for the welcome but I'll tell ya, I ain't exactly a spring chicken myself.
Much like an old car, as soon as I hit 70 things started falling apart.
Things that nobody carries parts for anymore....
👍

My oldest son graduates HS in 2 yrs......Can I increase your population by 1?

Jim
Oldest son graduates HS in 2 years?
Why wait?
We have schools here. Many of the folks I cross paths with aren't exactly NASA material but they are well versed in their chosen professions or trades.

Reactions: JLeonard
Oldest son graduates HS in 2 years?
Why wait?
We have schools here. Many of the folks I cross paths with aren't exactly NASA material but they are well versed in their chosen professions or trades.
He wants to finish high school here and I’ve told him I’m looking for “Mayberry” when he does.

Jim

Reactions: Flash Burn
Hello David.
I've used several of his recipes but I noticed they follow Marianski's recipes closely.
A couple of my favorites is the summer sausage and pepperoni although I've made up a pretty tasty variation on the pepperoni recipe.

I've followed a few of your procedures as well. At this time, I'm about a half step away from jumping into a drying cabinet. I have the old fridge ready and a good working knowledge of electricity and control circuits.
I just need to take that first step.
In between the 4,723 other projects I have going...
Can I get a link or direction to Jeff's Summer sausage recipe please? Thank you

Welcome Home, lived in Melbourne Fl back in the mid 70’s only kid I remember was Kelly Lustic his dad was a teacher at the high school lol. Loved the fishing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky