The return of an old member

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flash Burn

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 6, 2023
I was a member here some years ago. After a very lengthy hiatus, I forgot my old password and forum name.
So....
Here I am.
Again. Or yet. Whatever.
I'm Frank from North Florida. So far north in Florida I do my shopping in Georgia.
I've been following Jeff's smoking recipes for quite a while.
I also make many kinds of fresh and smoked sausage, as well as semi dry fermented and cured meats.
I learned from my grandfather who was a butcher that trained in Germany before moving to the USA back in the late 1930's.

My primary interest is jumping to the next step.
Dry fermented products.
With that, I'm here to annoy some of you boys with various questions (some Stoopid) about drying cabinets and the process of drying itself.
I've read Marianski's books and follow victor at taste of artisan.
Looking forward to becoming educated.
Thanks for having me aboard.

Welcome back. I'm in north FL as well and shop in GA alot too

Well thank ya kindly, Mr. bmudd. Hamilton county here. Mostly rural / farm country.
We moved here 8 years ago from Brevard county (Melbourne area).
Just getting too old to deal with city life.

Reactions: mr mac
I've read Marianski's books and follow victor at taste of artisan

Glad you are back at it
I also follow Victor from Taste of Artisan, I have done a couple of his things and posted here my version of his potato Sausage, turned out great .
just printed off a couple of his new recipes the other day, " Smoked Chorizo Sausage " , it looks very good. Will be trying in a week or so.

David

Welcome back. Hope you got your checkbook handy, these guys will get ya into it as you may already know. :emoji_laughing:
I signed up (or signed back up) in February. Since then I been reading the sausage and curing threads.
Reckon I may have to start looking for soda bottles to cash in with this crew. Maybe even go back to work😝

Glad you are back at it
I also follow Victor from Taste of Artisan, I have done a couple of his things and posted here my version of his potato Sausage, turned out great .
just printed off a couple of his new recipes the other day, " Smoked Chorizo Sausage " , it looks very good. Will be trying in a week or so.

David
Hello David.
I've used several of his recipes but I noticed they follow Marianski's recipes closely.
A couple of my favorites is the summer sausage and pepperoni although I've made up a pretty tasty variation on the pepperoni recipe.

I've followed a few of your procedures as well. At this time, I'm about a half step away from jumping into a drying cabinet. I have the old fridge ready and a good working knowledge of electricity and control circuits.
I just need to take that first step.
In between the 4,723 other projects I have going...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks, DougE from Kentucky.
It's good to be here.

Hello David.
I've used several of his recipes but I noticed they follow Marianski's recipes closely.
A couple of my favorites is the summer sausage and pepperoni although I've made up a pretty tasty variation on the pepperoni recipe.

I've followed a few of your procedures as well. At this time, I'm about a half step away from jumping into a drying cabinet. I have the old fridge ready and a good working knowledge of electricity and control circuits.
I just need to take that first step.
In between the 4,723 other projects I have going...

You and I both , with all the projects I have that I should try to finish.

The drying cabinet sounds great, there are a few folks on here that I know can help with any questions that you might have on the drying cabinet or the foods for it. Keith indaswamp indaswamp , comes to mind first for me , but there are also others. But for me that is way above my pay grade , as I am in awww of what they can do with those procedures :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_sunglasses:

For me I just got into smoking a couple years ago and 99 % of it was with the help from folks on here .:emoji_sunglasses::emoji_thumbsup:

David

Reactions: indaswamp
Welcome to SMF! Head on over to the curing forum and have a look...lots of salumi enthusiasts on the site. Check out 2guysandacooler on youtube, lots of great info and recipes...

Welcome to SMF! Head on over to the curing forum and have a look...lots of salumi enthusiasts on the site. Check out 2guysandacooler on youtube, lots of great info and recipes...
Thanks for the welcome.
I've been on 2guys site and it's definitely top shelf. Many excellent recipes to satisfy the Italian part of my blood.

Welcome from central FL for the winter and MN for the summers.
So thinking you have more time for projects now that you retired? I don't think it works that way.
I'm just finding more projects.

Welcome back from Virginia. Lotsa good stuff here. I recently went down the rabbit hole of dried/cured/fermented meats. There's an active group here to help and enable you along.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Welcome from central FL for the winter and MN for the summers.
So thinking you have more time for projects now that you retired? I don't think it works that way.
I'm just finding more projects.
Thanks for the welcome.
And I never for one moment thought I'd have more time for projects now that I'm retired.
I have more time to FIND and CREATE more projects.
Finishing them is a whole 'nother story.

Sometimes I feel like the hurrier I go, the behinder I get.....

Welcome back from Virginia. Lotsa good stuff here. I recently went down the rabbit hole of dried/cured/fermented meats. There's an active group here to help and enable you along.
Thank ya kindly, Mr. W.
I like that word "enable".

I've been reading the posts here for several months and I've determined this is not a good place if you have an addictive personality for sausage making and meat processing. 😝

Mr. JLeonard, thank you for the welcome.
I attempted to quote your post about 15 times but my phone isn't being very cooperative.
Either it doesn't like you or it's trying to give me an ulcer.
Maybe I need to threaten it with violence....

FB, Welcome back and I hope to see some pics of your dry curing adventures in the coming future.

Just getting too old to deal with city life.
We were in Tampa/St Petersburg when I retired a couple of years ago. We now live in a rural county in MO where our county population is about 29,000. We love it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky