The power goes out .................

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
You're 2 hours and 45 minutes into a baby back rib cook on the MB560 ..... and the electricity goes out.

For you old timers that recall the American Express commercial from 50 years ago .... what will you do ? What .... will ..... you ... do ?

Using an ATC, this is the one thing ya fear the most.

I left the ribs on the 560. I was still getting thin blue smoke. It was running like an offset with chunks burning in the ash bin. I was cooking with Thermoworks Signal so I still able to read cook temps. They were slowly dropping.

Then after about 45 minutes and the cook temp down to 225 the smoke changed to white billowy. I'm not sure what was happening there. I decided to wrap the ribs. Still no power.

Surprising to me, the ribs looked done and probed tender. But we weren't ready to eat. So I used the 26 Kettle as a warming oven. Put used charcoal into a Weber Junior chimney, let it get started good and dumped to one side, then put the wrapped ribs on the indirect side. And after some top and bottom vent adjustment, I got it settled in at 145 to 150.

After two hours, the power came back on. We decided to eat and the ribs were perfectly done and some of the best ribs I've cooked in a while.

With today's cookers, electricity goes out and its Panic City.

Way to adapt and overcome. Glad the ribs turned out great. With the way things are today, You hate to see anything go to waste.

Jim

Sounds like a great backup plan and saved the day....and the ribs 😅.

I keep a power inverter close by at home and use it at comps so we have a dedicated power source for MB.
Cheap insurance.

Keith

I keep a power inverter close by at home and use it at comps so we have a dedicated power source for MB.
Cheap insurance.

Keith
I was wondering about power inverter. How many watt unit would it take to run a pellet grill ? I do have a 250, 400, & 800 watt unit. Haven't tried any too see.

Reactions: 912smoker
Probably the 800 for a pellet as it uses more during ignition.

The MBGF only has a fan and uses very little juice.

Keith

Reactions: Winterrider

Cheap insurance.

Keith

I'm probably headed that route. But a 2 hour power outage is very very rare here. Still haven't found out why. Last time we had an outage like this, a car had run into a power pole.

The is my solution - a 1500W Inverter with two AGM marine batteries.
A bit of overkill, but I went to the Tim Allen school of "More Power". :emoji_sunglasses:

Attachments

• Inverter & Battery Box 2023-05-03_1.jpg
    Inverter & Battery Box 2023-05-03_1.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Inverter & Battery Box 2023-05-03_2.jpg
    Inverter & Battery Box 2023-05-03_2.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Inverter & Battery Box 2023-05-03_3.jpg
    Inverter & Battery Box 2023-05-03_3.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 9
Smart move on the wrap. Glad to hear everything worked out in the end

Point for sure
Chris

Here's that American Express commercial from the 70's , what will you do ? Which we had a lot of fun with, back then. Beauty of YouTube is getting to see things ya thought ya would never see again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky