The New KA Sourdough Bowl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
pics of your sourdough loaves that put Jan on a quest to find something that would inspire me to get off my butt and make her some bread.
The more you learn about what works the more fun it is . You saw my failures I had as well .

I think I might rocket science some and add some ECA?
Mixed up some rye yesterday . Almost put some white pepper in there .

Reactions: sawhorseray
I think I might rocket science some and add some ECA?
I was on the King Arthur site and saw they had a sourdough pumpernickel starter formula that used black coffee or water that potato's had been boiled in. The recipe for the loaf had molasses as one of the main ingredients. I've been using a rye bread recipe for years I got from a book on bread machine recipes, very similar to what they were suggesting. The loaves of rye that come from my bread machine are super dense, nothing like one would find in a market. I don't know enough about this to do any "tweaking". How does one go about making a loaf of bread less dense? I'd think any adjustment made would work the same in a loaf pan or the machine. RAY

I don't know enough about this to do any "tweaking". How does one go about making a loaf of bread less dense?
Use that same recipe you used for this , but sub in 100 grams of rye flour . So same recipe , 300 grams bread flour , 100 grams rye flour . Add in caraway seeds if you like seeded . Makes a nice light rye .
I'd think any adjustment made would work the same in a loaf pan or the machine. RAY
Loaf pan yes , bread machine I would say no . You could mix it up and bake in a loaf pan if you want that shape . I have one on the counter now , but here's some I've done .
This was an open bake on a sheet pan . No steam .
20240224_143729.jpg
This one was more of a rustic shape with a good score along the side .
Open baked on a stone , used a cast iron skillet to create steam .
20240317_151604.jpg
20240318_091927.jpg
Did this one last week in a loaf pan .
20240406_081300.jpg

I love the look of that loaf, looks far less dense that anything I ever make, not as "bready", if that's a word.
Ray , all 3 of those were great , and all the same formula . That third one was fermented overnight . That's why it's a bit more " open " on the crumb . The sandwich in the first pic , nice and soft , not dry . All my rye bakes have been fails before this .
I have one in the oven now .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Being a San Francisco native I grew up enjoying the best sourdough on the planet. I quit trying to make a loaf of sourdough bread years ago after repeated failures, always came out poorly, at best. Long story short, wife loves the stuff and misses it since we moved to AZ almost five years ago. Jan found this new offering from Kitchen Aid, a bowl that attaches to their stand mixer, makes the dough and then the loaf bakes in the bowl, nothing short of a modern day miracle. The bowl usually sells for $130, Jan grabbed it on sale for $99 from Kohl's and even had another twenty bucks off in free shopping. After developing a jar of starter I clicked on the KA website and found everything I needed to know right here:

I followed directions for the loaf to a "TEE", supervisor was right at my shoulder. Start to finish took around seven hours, didn't miss a step, used the KA dough recipe too. The moment we popped the loaf out of the oven we knew this was the way to go, a raging success!

View attachment 694002

No pockets on the slice, rich sourdough flavor, pretty darned happy!

View attachment 694003

Best of all was the French toast, breakfast would have made the Bear real happy, was his favorite

View attachment 693802

Well that's about a wrap. If you like sourdough bread but have had issues making it in the past this is a great way to go. The only issue I can see is that it makes a great loaf of sourdough bread every time, we're two for two. Thanks for lookin' in! RAY
Red, white and blue bag..... Columbo? That stuff was amazing!!!
Now there is a place in Berkeley called Acme, their bread is almost as good as the old Columbo bread. I drive out of my way in TRAFFIC to buy it. I'm trying to get our supermarket to carry it, because I hate everything about Berkeley and the drive there. LOL!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky