The Most Bizarre Ribs I've Ever Done....But Really Good (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Decided to cook up some beef ribs last Saturday. When I saw these in the freezer I thought they were CPB chuck short ribs. When I get those they come two 4-bone sections per pack, which is way more than we'd eat. I thought I'd taken one rack to cook and vac sealed the other rack due to not needing that much food for the two of us. As soon as I opened the package I knew something was amiss. These are not chuck short ribs so don't have a clue why I wrote that on the package. Oh well, they looked nice so I went with it.

The meat
001.jpg

This is a rub I got from our good friend Warren ( HalfSmoked HalfSmoked ) in our Christmas exchange
002.jpg

Ribs seasoned up. They are nice and thick and the rub is really coarse so I applied a lot of it. It tastes amazing though.
003.jpg

Onto the Weber with hardwood charcoal and mesquite running the SnS
004.jpg

About 4 hours in. You can see these things are acting weird.
006.jpg

Horrible pic. Made a tater salad using a totally different approach. Even though the pic was terrible the tater salad was really good. Will fill in the blanks later.
007.jpg

This is a sauce I was honored to receive from our good friend Justin ( Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ ) I warned him that no good deed goes unpunished :emoji_wink:
008.jpg

Ribs all done. They don't look like any other ribs I've ever cooked but I am intrigued. Total cook time was about 8 hours running in the range of 235 degrees. I love how the rub crusted up and made that bark.
009.jpg

Oh boy...nice and juicy, tender, good smoke ring, and the aroma was outstanding. They sliced like butter
010.jpg

Close up
011.jpg

Dinner plated. Also made up some baked beans. Just a can of Busch's that I doctored up for additional flavor
013.jpg

About half way through the cook it hit me where these ribs came from. The last 103 sub primal rib section I got was cut into three tomahawks, the other four bones removed from the meat, and the meat cut into boneless rib eyes. These are the 4 ribs I got from that rib section. The tater salad was an original for me and we loved it. Lightly boil fresh red potatoes and drain then mix in garlic EVOO, spicy pepper vinegar, diced red onions, sliced green onions, garlic powder, a little salt, and some black pepper. We thoroughly enjoyed the tater salad. Ribs were super tender and flavorful from the rub with a nice smoke flavor. The sauce was unique but REALLY good. A little sweet, a little tingle, and an overall flavor that's very difficult to describe. I'm going to cut up some nice beef at some point real soon, marinate it in this sauce, and make pseudo burnt ends with it. That's some good stuff and I'm really looking forward to using it again. Thank you Justin and Warren. Kinda cool to do a meal that has so many influences in it from our forum friends. Overall a nice traditional BBQ dinner that hit the spot in a big way. Well, thanks for dropping in. Calling this one dine...finally. Stay safe and I'll see y'all on the next adventure.

Robert

Looks really good bud! That sauce sounds delicious. I'm gonna smoke up those beef ribs you sent me for Christmas here in the next couple weeks. Nice job on that meal!

Wow, really nice bark and great pullback on those ribs Robert, big Like. Looks like you've got the Weber using the SnS dialed in like a Swiss watch, nice piece of work Robert. RAY

Those ribs look great Robert! The rub and sauce combined and then the tater salad on the side. I would be all over that. Big LIKE!

Looks great Robert! Whether they look wierd or not beef ribs are money and you nailed them.

Looks like another great meal Robert! Ribs look amazing! We received a bottle of that sauce also, looking forward to using it, but was really good straight out of the bottle.

Ryan

Those beef ribs aren’t weird...they’re money! Thick beef ribs like that don’t exist around here, beef ribs here look like they came off the neighbors cat!

I’d tear that whole plate up. My grandmother used to make a potato salad like that. It started out from my uncle and I’s dislike of mayo, sour cream based salads, so she would make them normally and hold the mayo and add Italian dressing. She would just make a smal amount for us only. Pretty soon others wanted the dressing based salad, and she made it ever since. She always called it “Joey’s German potato salad”:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: smoke signal
Looks delicious Robert! Whatever it is you always nail it. Great job. That potato salad is intriguing. Looks real good, may try it. Seems simple enough for someone like me, lol.

Fantastic job on those ribs Robert. UFOs(Unidentified Freezer Objects) can surprisingly be turned into some good eats.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky