The great Umai Salami reveal ~ one batch and you'll be making more.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
BC Canada/ Tucson, Az.
Umai recipe calls for the following:
Pork shoulder 1 kg
Kosher salt 28 gr
Instacure #2 2.5 gr
Dextrose 12 gr
Black Pepper 2 gr
Red Pepper flakes 1 gr
Whole pepper corns 1 gr
Chili powder 1 gr
Garlic powder 1 gr
Bactoferm 5 gr
I added an additional
ground fennel seed 2 gr
Onion powder 1 gr
I used a course face plate on my grinder/ stuffer to keep the texture marbled nicely.

The fermentation was 48 hours between 70 and 78 degrees in a sealed fridge with no air flow, a bowl of water to keep it moist and a box of baking soda to keep the smell down.
The curing time was exactly 30 days in a fridge running at 10 degrees to cure and reduce its weight by 40%.

If you've not cured using umai bags and casings, Id strongly advise not starting. It's addictive. I cant wait for my Chorizo i have curing now.
20190805_115629.jpg

It looks as dry as a popcorn fart but wait until you remove the casing.

20190805_115653.jpg

I made one round chub and an oval chub for presentation on a mixed meat platter. To make an oval chub, dont fill your casing as full, flatten it out and lay on a rack to cure.

20190805_115720.jpg

Im sorry but thats just sexy. Its got a beautiful colour, mild pepper flavor and the kick of fennel gives it a traditional European finish. Enjoy!

Last edited:
LF, Good looking salami, IMHO you will like the chorizo more and it will be become your go to Umai product. LIKE
Im looking forward to it. I make a smoked chorizo using my own recipe for the spices. Rather than adding vinegar as usual. I went without to sample the natural sour flavor of the fermentation.

I do not understand the refrigerator temp of 10 deg...how do you get e refrigerator that cold....were you referring to freezer?
Theres nothing in the fridge other than my 4 chubs snd 4 cryovaced tri tips. I dropped the temp as low as it would go. I also put in an additional thermometer to verify.

I don't understand the 10 degrees either!
That's frozen meat!
It sure looks good, but I don't see how it would cure at that temp.
Al

Reactions: fivetricks
Fantastic! Great looking salami and a big LIKE! Never used UMAI before but will in nearest future... I have a question for you: looks like (from your recipe) you did not used any bacteria (Bactoferm HLP, F-RM-52, F-LC). Is this correct? Thanks!

Well that would make sense, but it sure would start some questions about his 70-78 degree bloom temps lol.
I was concerned at 72 and emailed umai. 70 to 78 isnt a concern, keeping a water basin to keep the humility present is a must. It also reduces the bloom time from approx 72 hours to 48.

Fantastic! Great looking salami and a big LIKE! Never used UMAI before but will in nearest future... I have a question for you: looks like (from your recipe) you did not used any bacteria (Bactoferm HLP, F-RM-52, F-LC). Is this correct? Thanks!
Sorry, i didnt add that to the recipe. i added 5g.
Will correct the recipe too, thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky