THE DREADED DIABETES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wishing everybody well... Hawg... Glad you got it under control quickly...

Pop's.. As I've always said.. "YOU ARE THE MAN" .. Keep fighting brother... I've still got plenty to learn from ya yet ...

And as I have been finding out... "Getting Old Is Not For Sissy's"

Hawging It Hawging It and everone else.

If you love pasta the BEST options are the soy bean/edamame pastas.
If you have an Aldi's near you they have 3 options that are all good and don't mind the colors, we've eaten colored pasta in our lives for sure:

If you MUST order online then Vitacost.com has the BEST online prices for an edamame past in spaghetti and fetuchini noodle options:

The soybean/edamame pastas have amazing noodle texture and flavor. Basically like slightly al dente texture and are ready very quickly. This is really like eating normal pasta but with a major reduction in net carbs (which is real carbs not stuff like fiber which is a non-nutritional value carb) as well as a major reduction in calories. Use this noodle anywhere you would use a regular noodle.

Shirataki "noodles" (konjak root) is another noodle option BUT the texture of the "noodles" is more like a rice noodle so best used if you chop it short with meat scissors and is not the greatest for general or Italian noodle dishes but will work... especially if cut short.

The Shirataki "noodles" are best for asian type dishes due to their texture, I make Asian soups, stir frys, and Pho with them all the time.
HOWEVER, the Shirataki "rice" is small so the firmer texture thing is not really there which makes it good for any kind of pasta. I just made spicy mac n cheese with it mmmmm!

Anything shirataki is basically 0-1 carb per pack and like 10 calories, the stuff has such low nutritional value but works amazingly for noodles even though the water it is in smells a little musky, the smell does not translate to flavor even if u just microwave with water and bouillon like a wanna be cheap ramen soup :D

Again besides a local brick and mortar store that cares the stuff (walmart), Vitacost.com has best prices for it and sometimes runs discounts which can included buy one get one free or 50% off.

If you want to make Coconut Flour wraps/tortillas let me know I make em and they are great!!!
Again way lower carb and taste and texture are great! Doesn't taste as flour'ery or starchy as normal tortillas but taste better then any store bought tortilla or wrap you will ever buy and nope no coconut flavor in them which is surprising :)

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: Hawging It
Hawging It Hawging It and everone else.

If you love pasta the BEST options are the soy bean/edamame pastas.
If you have an Aldi's near you they have 3 options that are all good and don't mind the colors, we've eaten colored pasta in our lives for sure:

If you MUST order online then Vitacost.com has the BEST online prices for an edamame past in spaghetti and fetuchini noodle options:

The soybean/edamame pastas have amazing noodle texture and flavor. Basically like slightly al dente texture and are ready very quickly. This is really like eating normal pasta but with a major reduction in net carbs (which is real carbs not stuff like fiber which is a non-nutritional value carb) as well as a major reduction in calories. Use this noodle anywhere you would use a regular noodle.

Shirataki "noodles" (konjak root) is another noodle option BUT the texture of the "noodles" is more like a rice noodle so best used if you chop it short with meat scissors and is not the greatest for general or Italian noodle dishes but will work... especially if cut short.

The Shirataki "noodles" are best for asian type dishes due to their texture, I make Asian soups, stir frys, and Pho with them all the time.
HOWEVER, the Shirataki "rice" is small so the firmer texture thing is not really there which makes it good for any kind of pasta. I just made spicy mac n cheese with it mmmmm!

Anything shirataki is basically 0-1 carb per pack and like 10 calories, the stuff has such low nutritional value but works amazingly for noodles even though the water it is in smells a little musky, the smell does not translate to flavor even if u just microwave with water and bouillon like a wanna be cheap ramen soup :D

Again besides a local brick and mortar store that cares the stuff (walmart), Vitacost.com has best prices for it and sometimes runs discounts which can included buy one get one free or 50% off.

If you want to make Coconut Flour wraps/tortillas let me know I make em and they are great!!!
Again way lower carb and taste and texture are great! Doesn't taste as flour'ery or starchy as normal tortillas but taste better then any store bought tortilla or wrap you will ever buy and nope no coconut flavor in them which is surprising :)

I hope this info helps :)
Wow! Glad to hear this. Gives me another option. I will find it I'm sure around here. Been buying bread online. Sandwich bread, cinnamon bread, hot dog buns and hamburger buns. The hamburger buns are the best of the group. Ain't as good as regular bread but not half bad. Beats no bread at all! No sugar. 7 grams carbs and 7 grams fiber which means Zero carbs. It's pricey but worth it for me.
IMG_4959.jpg

Reactions: tallbm
Wow! Glad to hear this. Gives me another option. I will find it I'm sure around here. Been buying bread online. Sandwich bread, cinnamon bread, hot dog buns and hamburger buns. The hamburger buns are the best of the group. Ain't as good as regular bread but not half bad. Beats no bread at all! No sugar. 7 grams carbs and 7 grams fiber which means Zero carbs. It's pricey but worth it for me.
View attachment 461226

Cool I'll keep an eye out for that bread!
I can totally live without bread and when I want it I make the coconut wraps. I tried quite a few bread options and was just not very satisfied with many. Some would have been great for corn bread but not regular bred substitutes.

With my coconut flour i can make tortilla/wrap style or a little thicker and grill it for pita style so that takes care of most sandwich, tortilla, and wrap situations for me. It is not the friendliest in the world to work with but I have my process and setup down to where I can make 12-24 of them in about 30 minutes and then eat them over the following week or 2 :)

I'm an oddball when it comes to deserts and pastries. I dont like cake, pie, cobbler, cupcakes, brownies, etc. they are all way too rich for my taste buds and cause this unpleasant overwhelming tingling sensation in my mouth between the back and of my jaw and my lower earlobes hahaha.

HOWEVER I do love a piece of chocolate or a candy or something sweet like that after a meal, not a ton of it but something. I've figured out a way to solve this problem way more easily than finding good substitute bread :)

Cool I'll keep an eye out for that bread!
I can totally live without bread and when I want it I make the coconut wraps. I tried quite a few bread options and was just not very satisfied with many. Some would have been great for corn bread but not regular bred substitutes.

With my coconut flour i can make tortilla/wrap style or a little thicker and grill it for pita style so that takes care of most sandwich, tortilla, and wrap situations for me. It is not the friendliest in the world to work with but I have my process and setup down to where I can make 12-24 of them in about 30 minutes and then eat them over the following week or 2 :)

I'm an oddball when it comes to deserts and pastries. I dont like cake, pie, cobbler, cupcakes, brownies, etc. they are all way too rich for my taste buds and cause this unpleasant overwhelming tingling sensation in my mouth between the back and of my jaw and my lower earlobes hahaha.

HOWEVER I do love a piece of chocolate or a candy or something sweet like that after a meal, not a ton of it but something. I've figured out a way to solve this problem way more easily than finding good substitute bread :)
Do you have a recipe for the tortillas?

Reactions: bhambrewer
Do you have a recipe for the tortillas?

I went ahead and did a full post on it. It is PACKED with info and instructions so you should have all you need but never hesitate to ask any questions you have.

These things are really great and are like a miracle item for those who can no longer have regular tortillas, wraps, and bread. Again there is no coconut taste and these taste WAY better than regular store bought tortillas haha.

Here's the post and I hope this helps a lot of people, I put a lot of effort to take one of those horrible online recipe blog posts and make it both real and legit! Enjoy! :)

I went ahead and did a full post on it. It is PACKED with info and instructions so you should have all you need but never hesitate to ask any questions you have.

These things are really great and are like a miracle item for those who can no longer have regular tortillas, wraps, and bread. Again there is no coconut taste and these taste WAY better than regular store bought tortillas haha.

Here's the post and I hope this helps a lot of people, I put a lot of effort to take one of those horrible online recipe blog posts and make it both real and legit! Enjoy! :)

Hey thanks so much for this. I will dig in and review.

Reactions: tallbm

Thank you for sharing this

Damn Tony, I am sorry to hear this.

I think I have a super low carb recipe for bread machines floating around here on SMF someplace. The bread can also be done old school with a stand mixer and baked in the oven. It sure does save some $$ if you have the time.

Sounds like you caught it just in the nick of time.
With my wife, we weren't so fortunate. She spent a week in the ICU.
The real kick in the balls was that she had seen her primary care doctor and an urgent care doctor the week before.
It never dawned on either one to check her glucose levels. They said she had the flu and a case of thrush.
When I called 911, she couldn't even hold water down without throwing it back up and she started drifting in and out of consciousness.
By the time the EMTs wheeled her into the ER, her glucose level was at 690.
The ER doctor said if we had delayed any longer, my wife would have died.
You are most fortunate to have an on the ball doctor.
Has your doctor prescribed a glucose monitor?
If not, ask for one because you will still to want monitor your glucose levels even while your behaving yourself diet wise.

Stuart

a friend has a similar situation, it's terrible.. the disease has been very common for a long time, many have heard and know about it, and at https://studydriver.com/diabetes-essay/ you can study more about diabetes in various studies, there are analyzed various life cases, various directions and stages of the disease, for general development and understanding will be beneficial to everyone.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky