The Dark Side of the Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pig Floyd

Original poster
Sep 4, 2018
Hi all,

New member currently in Upstate NY, but originally from NJ. I've been lurking for a while and finally decided it was time to take part in the discussion. I started smoking about 5 years ago when my wife surprised me with a WSM smoker for Father's Day. My very first attempt at anything was a smaller brisket (shown below);
vcEOJD4.jpg

after that I was hooked. I have mainly done briskets, ribs, and salmon but really want to start branching out. I will say the one thing I have tried but didn't have success with so far was the sausage... I am trying to replicate a smoked sausage I really enjoyed but thus far the results have been... well... not great.

I love hosting the neighborhood with a big BBQ but I have found myself at a severe limitation for space, so I have recently started a complete DIY build of a masonry smoker and brick braai + outdoor kitchen space project that I plan to start a new thread on in the near future.

-Scott

Welcome to SMF. I've gotten so many ideas on here that I don't even know what to do next! If you want to try something different than what you listed, I suggest a pork butt. They are pretty easy if you have the time and are pretty forgiving, not to mention delicious. I haven't tried them yet, but there are instructions on how to make some appetizers that sound really good. ABTs and pork shots are a couple.

Scott welcome to SMF!! What type of sausage are you trying to make?
Richie

Scott welcome to SMF!! What type of sausage are you trying to make?
Richie
I had had some leftover chorizo that I tried once, but I WAY over did it... by the time the temperature was right they were basically unedible (too much smoke?). The one I want to replicate though I'm trying to narrow it down... kind of tastes like a kielbasa but not certain. In any case I seem to always get way too strong of a flavor on the sausages.

Welcome to the site. Which size WSM do you have?

Chris

Welcome to SMF. I've gotten so many ideas on here that I don't even know what to do next! If you want to try something different than what you listed, I suggest a pork butt. They are pretty easy if you have the time and are pretty forgiving, not to mention delicious. I haven't tried them yet, but there are instructions on how to make some appetizers that sound really good. ABTs and pork shots are a couple.
Definitely will try... pork butt / pulled pork are going to be some of the first things I want to do when the new smoker is up and running.

Welcome to the site. Which size WSM do you have?

Chris

Pretty certain it's the 18"... usually can barely fit a small brisket on the bottom grate and with some vertical rib holders I can get a few racks on the top grate. The brisket tends to hang off the end and touches the walls a bit in the beginning so those usually get a little over done. The new build will have 4 grates around 2' x 2'.

Welcome aboard. It's good to have you in the conversation. That's a nice looking brisket you posted. Sounds like you have a pretty good footing and an ambitious outdoor project. I look forward to seeing that.

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky