The Cure for what ails me!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charswifterie

Original poster
Aug 8, 2016
Kansas
Well, it has been a while, but the search for a cure, so to speak, has brought me back. Being busier retired than before has put curing on the back burner long enough for me to forget all I learned, and then some. I got into lacto-fermenting veggies and pickles for a while, and it occurred to me that the "lactic acid starter culture" listed on so many salami ingredient labels is likely the same stuff found in the pickle brine, the pricey probiotics from the health food store, the yogurt, and so forth. I love it when life gets simpler...

So, I'm getting ready to brine up 15.5 lbs of pork loin to give it the old Kasseler Rippchen treatment. Turned out so well before, I might as well stay with it. I'm trying to implement Dave Omak's sensible recommendation to reduce the amount of liquid, and to fine tune the cure concentration, staying below the 156 ppm limit, as I'd like to be around a while to enjoy this, curing the meat without curing my own flesh in the process. Even though I once taught math and physical science, I still struggle with the proportional values, so I figured developing a definitive narrative might be in the interests of all.

15.5 lbs of meat needs 17 g of nitrite I believe, on the multiple of 1.1 g nitrite/lb of meat. This gives me at 6.25% about 272g of pink salt, but then I'm not certain of a) how much regular salt to add, and b) I struggle with factoring in the amount of liquid, because I don't know how much I need to use, the 272g value being just for the meat, not the liquid bath. I plan to cure a week, smoke it several hours, then oven finish to 145˚ F. The recipe I began with called for 4 cups water for a 3 lb roast, which seems quite the bath, with the imprecise measures of 3T salt, and 1 t pink salt. This would translate to 5 liters of water, 7.5 oz salt, and 1.7 T of the pink. I have a three beam scale accurate to 0.1g, and I'd rather try to get it dialed in a bit more tightly, so to speak, as I also have a liter jar, AND I know how to use it...

That said, is there a proportion of liquid to meat I can use while calculating the amts of salt and cure for both the meat and water mass? Here is the recipe I started from:

Ingredients:

1 Bone in Pork Roast ( i used a 6 bone about 3 lb. roast)
Brine , (marinade or cure)
4 cups water
3 tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pink curing salt
1 tablespoon juniper berries
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
Small handful of Sage leaves, Marjoram or Thyme
or
8 bay leaves crushed
( may use sage or thyme also)
12 garlic cloves crushed
1 half sliced white onion

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

15.5 lbs of meat needs 17 g of nitrite I believe, on the multiple of 1.1 g nitrite/lb of meat.

I'm confused where you are getting these numbers from. 15.5 lbs of meat at 156PPM would be roughly 1.06 grams of nitrate, or 17 grams of pink salt, right?

One tsp of pink salt weights between 5-6 grams, so you're recipe ingredient list seems close. The 227grams, which is half a pound, seems scary.

But I don't know enough about wet cures to give recommended amounts

Last edited:
Reactions: charswifterie
Well, let's see. I appreciate you looking at this. I'm really distracted today, so I might well have messed it all up.
15.5 lbs = 7030.682 g, 156 ppm is 0.0156% or 0.000156 x 7030.7 = 1.09 g of nitrite as you say, and about 17 g of pink salt. Ah. I see I confused nitrite and pink salt, and repeated the multiple, yeah it would be some serious pickling... yeesh. See what happens when I try to do something when distracted? Trying to do elder care long distance, and a bunch of crap happened today, and I should have known better than to get on here and start messing with numbers on a day like today. I wanted to make up some Kasselers to give for Christmas, so time is running short. Maybe I'll not try to reduce the liquid amt. till I get some more info, and just stick with the recipe I have. I have a food grade 5 gal bucket, and it's cold enough outside I could pull it off. Will report back.

I'd suggest using a cure calculator like this on in the future, as it makes the calcs less error prone: http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

But again, this works for dry curing and sausage making. I don't do wet brine/cure so I'll let others chime in on that.

Takes some time to find out your preferred method to cure. Pop's brine is what I started with but in the end Omaks method based on weight is how I do it now (even for brines). Calculator is great too but once I found out the percentage, it clicked for me...

1lb is 454g so 15.5lb loin is 7,037g.
.25% cure #1 = 17.6g (matches up with calculator...)

If you want to reduce the liquid to 500 grams, and skip the bucket, weigh out the 17.6 grams of cure, required grams of kosher salt and sugar.... super fine grind 1/4 the spices/herbs used in the brine and add to the 500 grams of liquid and let the flavors infuse in the liquid.. might take a little heat... Then filter if you wish .... add the cure, salt and sugar to the cooled 500 grams of flavored brine and inject ALL of it into the meat... everything you wanted for the meat is now inside.. inject at 1.5" intervals using about 5-10 cc... make sure all of the meat gets injected for a uniform flavor and cure distribution... I use this method and the needle I use comes with

SYRINGES 2.jpg

Cajun Injector marinades... Small diameter needle... works really well.....

Well, I finally found some info on the relative proportion of meat and brine, basically 2:1. I've been confirming via long division the 1.1g pink salt/lb of brine and meat that daveomak so graciously sent me a while back, and of course it checks out, just trying to "earn" the right to use it by figuring it up myself. Now that I have the 2:1, I realized I was a bit light on cure for my kasselers, so I added 1/8 t to each 5 pounder. Here is the link to the article I found, and if anyone has opinions, I'd love to hear!

http://thesaltcuredpig.com/brine-cured-ham-101/

I have a big rib roast dry aging in the fridge for Christmas, and while I wait for the loins to cure, I'm going to make a corned beef tongue. That oughta get em a wagging here at the house...
Hope your day is going well!

Last edited:
If you want to reduce the liquid to 500 grams, and skip the bucket, weigh out the 17.6 grams of cure, required grams of kosher salt and sugar.... super fine grind 1/4 the spices/herbs used in the brine and add to the 500 grams of liquid and let the flavors infuse in the liquid.. might take a little heat... Then filter if you wish .... add the cure, salt and sugar to the cooled 500 grams of flavored brine and inject ALL of it into the meat... everything you wanted for the meat is now inside.. inject at 1.5" intervals using about 5-10 cc... make sure all of the meat gets injected for a uniform flavor and cure distribution... I use this method and the needle I use comes with Cajun Injector marinades... Small diameter needle... works really well.....

This method works really well - I use it for my Christmas gammons each year. When you inject however you will inevitably find that some leaks or squirts out of the meat. Make sure that you inject in a pan and capture any that comes out of the meat. Pour this back inside the bag with the meat whilst you are waiting for the cure to equalise.

This method works really well - I use it for my Christmas gammons each year. When you inject however you will inevitably find that some leaks or squirts out of the meat. Make sure that you inject in a pan and capture any that comes out of the meat. Pour this back inside the bag with the meat whilst you are waiting for the cure to equalise.

I think I'll stick with the wet cures for the time being. I want the pickling spices to permeate with the cure, and if I grind up a bunch of juniper berries and such to where they'll go through the needle, I figure I might not like the final texture as much.

I plan to do up some lamb legs I have, and I started a corned beef tongue today. That already has a couple of odd pictures, which I'll get on here soon.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky