The answer to the question: "How much meat can you put into a 22.5" WSM?"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
So my folks just finished up a major remodel of their house (pushed one entire side out 14 feet!), and wanted to do an open house / thank you party for the contractors, friends, and family. So naturally they contacted me about providing a bunch of smoked meaty goodness!
biggrin.gif

We decided to do pulled pork and chopped brisket sandwiches using the potato rolls they sell at Costco for buns (the small buns help keep the portion sizes more even). They sent me $200 for meat and fuel purchase and I grabbed four 10-12 lb. pork butts, and three 12-14 lb. briskets.

Made a rub that was more on the savory side - less on the sugar - since it was being used on both the pork and the brisket. Gave everything a good dusting. Meats ready and smoker up to temp @ 9:30 PM.

Four pork butts on the bottom rack - had to get creative and stand them up on the cut side, by morning they will have shrunk down enough that I can lay them flat.

One of the briskets was very wide so had to get creative again, and decided to use my Weber rib rack to stand them on their side - again planning on laying them flat in the AM.

Just for the record that's 85 lbs. of meat in one load of the 22.5" WSM! Not to shabby!

Got everything cruising along at 240° in a mix of apple and mesquite to start, got it all tucked in with the welding blanket wrapped around the smoker - it will chug along low and slow all night long with no worries!

See you all in the morning!
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Most impressive indeed!

I've had 8 butts in mine a few times but I don't think I would have even tried to do as much meat as you have in yours! 
super.gif

.... as promised some AM pictures:

The butts are doing well, think I will just leave them as is.

Briskets are doing well, but I laid them out with a tiny bit of overlap.... one is actually getting close to done. The rack idea works well, but I may try to find a rack with wider openings... or make one.

Most impressive indeed!

I've had 8 butts in mine a few times but I don't think I would have even tried to do as much meat as you have in yours! 
super.gif
Eight butts is very respectable as well! The most I had done prior to this was 3 butts and two briskets, so I knew going it in that it was going to be a squeeze, but I was fairly certain I could pull it off....lol.

He's stingy, if you can get here, you're a guest in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

Have fun and . . .
lol... my problem is that Chucho is a co-worker of mine, so I can't hide a smoke from him!

... now if he wants to drive the 4.5 hrs to the party at my parents house next weekend then he's invited... lol.

Did you have to add coals in the middle of the night?  I have the 18.5 model and i have to replace coals about every 3 hours.  Is there a secret trick as to smoking all night without replacing coals?

Did you have to add coals in the middle of the night?  I have the 18.5 model and i have to replace coals about every 3 hours.  Is there a secret trick as to smoking all night without replacing coals?

Looks great by the way
Thanks! I'm drooling over it sitting in my fridge till Saturday... lol.

Did you have to add coals in the middle of the night?  I have the 18.5 model and i have to replace coals about every 3 hours.  Is there a secret trick as to smoking all night without replacing coal
I sent you a PM, let me know if you have any other questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky