The Absurd Burger (or whatever we end up calling this thing)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bvbull200

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
North Richland Hills, Texas
Mega pic dump time. I've been wanting to make a mega-burger for a while and finally got the time and energy to do so. The basic idea was to take a loaf of bread otherwise baked for a bread-bowl, turn it in to a bun, then make a burger to fit it. With that, here goes nothing!

Started with ground certified angus beef. I bought 6 lbs, but only needed 4. Mixed with two eggs and Pitfaced BBQ On Point rub, then formed in to two pie pans. One had a lip built up around it. This was the "stuffing" side.

oTn7Zbi.jpg

The stuffed side got some sharp cheddar:

3xi12o1.jpg

Then some caramelized onions that had been refrigerated:

z7hw1Q1.jpg

Then some colby jack cheese:

vUnBXoj.jpg

Then some swiss cheese:

EsMSi8u.jpg

Then the top was added and the whole thing was sealed up. Dos Equis bottle for size reference.

Mr1j5lQ.jpg

After the plate was zeroed out, this is the resulting weight of the burger. 4 lbs of meat and over 1 lb of other "stuff". It was wrapped in plastic wrap, then went in the fridge for about 5 hours to set up.

OLNedEO.jpg

In to the stick burner it went. This was my first time firing up the new-to-me offset. It is a New Braunfels Longhorn Deluxe that I picked up from a friend of mine for pretty cheap. I cook in UDS smokers, but I liked this!

I put it in a pre-heated cast-iron to start to help hold the form.

ET3HOID.jpg

After a long while, I got ballsy and tried to work this thing with the spatulas (I need a pizza peel next time for this) and give it a little sear on the firebox side:

Ldg9gz8.jpg

Fries and bacon were done at various times as well:

DOeD05V.jpg

SagcFrC.jpg

Brought it inside to put more colby jack and swiss on top (put it in a warm oven to melt). It held nicely!

Orl0Ucr.jpg

This loaf of bread, for reference, was 1.25 lbs itself! I brushed on some melted butter and toasted it lightly:

mjS6zuk.jpg

Mayo, lettuce, a tomatoes:

Z9iC0hL.jpg

The burger, complete with melted cheese, bacon, and 3 fried eggs goes on top.

C4Iu5N5.jpg

And served! That is an 8" chef's knife in there!

OOTdoeX.jpg

Knife removed and plate zeroed out, this is what the final weight came in at. :emoji_astonished:

YHmV9AV.jpg

Then the real money shot:

LVr8057.jpg

All that cheesy goodness:

rlBIJ9L.jpg

This was a lot of work and cost more than a brisket, but it was damn worth it. It was just my wife, my two kids (6 & 3), and myself - we barely put a dent in it. It could have fed 6+ adults no problem. Probably 8. I have some primo ground meat courtesy of @Misplaced Nebraskan , that I might have to use for round 2 of this bad boy. I'll invite some extra hungry mouths the next time.

Now, I just need to come up with a name for it. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

WOW! That burger is an absolute beast and looks damn Tasty. I hear ya when you say you needed a pizza peel to deal with it.

Love the way you built it, I have to say that Burger is the Biggest I have ever seen, nice work.

Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Well you can't call it the 85 cheese burger, cheese burger, that's already taken and it doesn't really fit your burger. I love sourdough burgers by the way.:emoji_scream::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Your thread reminded me so much of my friends over at Epic Meal Time, that I had to post a link.

You should figure out the calories and grams of fat. :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream:

Reactions: JC in GB
That's crazy!!! I'm very impressed. Just the fact that it stayed together is amazing.

That is definitely the biggest burger that I have seen on here!
I wouldn't even know how to eat it. Fork & knife I guess!
It sure looks good!
Al

Reactions: bvbull200
Wow! Nice fat burger, go big or go home!

"I don't always make burgers, but when I do they have their own zip code. Stay thirsty my friends."

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
I've never been a fan of "big" burgers. The meat/bread ratio was always off. And the meat was dry. But, yours, sir. Changed my way of thinking. Very, very nice!

Reactions: bvbull200
WOW! That burger is an absolute beast and looks damn Tasty. I hear ya when you say you needed a pizza peel to deal with it.

Love the way you built it, I have to say that Burger is the Biggest I have ever seen, nice work.

Excellent post, thanks for sharing.

Much appreciated! It was a fun cook; something I've wanted to do for a while. I'm happy with how it turned out!

Well you can't call it the 85 cheese burger, cheese burger, that's already taken and it doesn't really fit your burger. I love sourdough burgers by the way.:emoji_scream::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Your thread reminded me so much of my friends over at Epic Meal Time, that I had to post a link.

You should figure out the calories and grams of fat. :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream: :emoji_scream:

That burger looks amazing, too! I don't think I want to know how many calories were in the one that I made :D. My wife, two kids, and myself barely put a dent in it, though. We could eat it all week if needed.

That's crazy!!! I'm very impressed. Just the fact that it stayed together is amazing.

I took great care in that regard. The seam was thick and pressed firm. I also wrapped in plastic wrap and set in the fridge for a while. I think those things helped quite a bit.

How could it not? With all of that cheese glue....hahahaha!!!

Of course, the cheese glue helped, too!

That is definitely the biggest burger that I have seen on here!
I wouldn't even know how to eat it. Fork & knife I guess!
It sure looks good!
Al

Exactly! It was eaten by cutting off a slice, plopping on your plate, then eating like a big mess of food. Think kind of like how biscuits and gravy are eaten.

And it has AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW

Thank you!

The Burger That Ate New York City, what a monster! Great piece of work, Like. RAY

That's a name, too! It was a force to be reckoned with.

Now that's what I call imagination. Looks tasty!!

I've been stewing over this cook for a while. It was great seeing it come together!

WOW Bull that is one big A$$ burger! :emoji_scream:

LIKE!

John

Thanks a bunch!

The Big B on The Big D!
Now that is a Texas sized Burger, simply Massive.
Great job putting it together and keeping it together.

Wondering why this isn't riding the Carousel?

I'd take a quarter of it.

It's funny sending pics of it without context. It looks like a regular burger. Then I send a pic with a beer bottle in the frame or the knife and folks realize it's MASSIVE.

You could put a brand on that sucker. It is definitely a burger to share and it sure looks good. Like.

That'd be pretty sweet to put a branding on it!

I've never been a fan of "big" burgers. The meat/bread ratio was always off. And the meat was dry. But, yours, sir. Changed my way of thinking. Very, very nice!

I'm kind of the same. The approach for this, however, was never to eat it like at traditional burger, but use the burger shape to deliver all of the awesome combinations of ingredients that make burgers good, but eat with a fork/knife. This really worked out. Cooking it slow helped save some of the juices, too, so it was nice and moist.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky