Thawed turkey but didn't cook it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
I thawed a Turkey and a turkey breast for Thanksgiving in the fridge. We had a case of the crud go through the house so we didn't have Thanksgiving on Thursday. Our plan is having it this weekend.
The turkey and breast are both the kind that are in a brine in a cryovac sealed package from the manufacturer.
My plan was to smoke the breast and bake the turkey.
You think I am good to serve these? They thawed in the fridge and have been in there since.

Turkeys are only good for a couple of days once defrosted. Give it the smell and feel test when you unwrap. If it doesn't feel slimy or smell bad then you should be ok.

Chris

If it was totally thawed on TG day, then you are talking 8-10 days unfrozen. I wouldn’t take the chance, especially since turkeys are still .49 cents a pound.
Al

Reactions: Newglide
Turkeys are only good for a couple of days once defrosted. Give it the smell and feel test when you unwrap. If it doesn't feel slimy or smell bad then you should be ok.

Chris
WE also had a slight delay due to illness and everything i read said 1-2 thawed in the refer before it starts going downhill. That said - the smell test is a sure bet.

Our 14lb whole turkey still had ice inside at day 5 in the refer. I wasn’t totally surprised as it was in the garage refer for half the thaw and it runs a hair above freezing.

Reactions: Newglide
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky