Thanksgiving Turkey with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Just getting around to posting the TG Day Q-view.  Smoked a 22 lb. bird in the Weber with ash wood using the indirect method.  Brought the Weber up to the inlaws' just for the occasion.  When I offered to smoke TG dinner, my wife was wondering if I was planning to haul "Grillestate" up for the job.  Now that rig is a heavy unit assembled from 2 separate smokers: a SFB with an upright bolted to the end.

02705966_TheFinishedProduct.jpg

I wasn't really interested in all that effort when I can smoke the perfect bird in the Weber every time (in my sleep, if necessary!).  The very first thing I ever smoked was a turkey on that Weber (TG 1998).  Why mess with what already works?  Besides, toting a Weber kettle is much easier. 

Alright, on to the Q-view.  The turkey at about the half-way mark.

a28a5b86_Turkey1.jpg

Melted butter, salt & pepper on the skin.  Cavity empty.  No brine or injection.  Breast side down to let the juices flow into the breast meat during the smoke.  I use 2 foil "fenders" to protect the legs from burning being so close tot he coals.  I flip the bird breast side up with about an hour left for the smoke.  Total time: 4.5 hours at 250* to an internal temp of 180* in the breast meat.

9aa50851_Turkey2.jpg

The money shot.  Hard to see the smoke ring; I took these with my phone.  Moist, tender, delicious.  Note the wife's phenomenal smoked turkey gravy from the drippings!  Saved the carcass for turkey soup (devoured last night at dinner).

Thanks for looking at another successful smoke!

Cheers!

Beautiful color on that bird! Nice looking spread too. What a great way to score some points with the in-laws!
icon_mrgreen.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky