Thanksgiving Turkey Success

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjclemens

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 20, 2016
Illinois
This year marks my second attempt at Turkey in my home-made UDS, and my first major success. To give credit where credit is due, I got the general idea of how to do it from one of Malcom Reed's videos on How to BBQ right. I did the overnight brine, cajun butter injection, and dry rub. The big difference was that I was using a huge, 24# turkey. I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on what size turkey you can smoke. Lots of articles say you can't smoke anything bigger than 15#, but I've seen some people post that, if your cooker can keep an appropriate temperature, you shouldn't have any problems. Since I'm still a novice with the UDS, I did have a little trouble keeping the temp pegged in one place. Temp bounced between 350 and 375 - most likely because I messed with the controls too much. Anyway, 5 hours later, breast temp made it to 165, and I pulled it off the smoker for a short rest. Long story short, when I sliced into the breast, juice went everywhere. It was the most moist and tender turkey I've ever had. Unfortunately, due to current events, we only had a couple guests over to share it with - but everyone was impressed (especially myself). The only real problem that I ran into was that, in the last 30-45 minutes of cook time, I had trouble keeping the temp at 350. Even with all dampers wide open and at least 1/4 basket of charcoal left, it was struggling to maintain 315. My best guess is that the volume of drippings coming off the turkey might have doused part of the fire. I wasn't 100% confident that I'd be able to maintain a high enough temp, so I ran it without a baffle or drip pan. I may have to experiment with that for my next cook.

Reactions: JLeonard
SOUNDS like a great bird. But to echo jcam222 jcam222 without pics did it even happen? LOL, just messing with ya. I love when a cook turns out right.
Jim

I wish I had some photo evidence of this one. Unfortunately, I was so busy with other chores that I never got a chance to snap some pics before the wife had it carved up and ready to serve. I'll be sure to come armed with hard proof next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky