Thanksgiving review: Rotisserie turkey, glazed ham, hasselback butternut squash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving and that you are enjoying leftovers today!
Here is what we had:

Rotisserie turkey – 18lb bird done on a webber kettle.

On the spit:
turkeyturning.gif

Pics taken every ~20min. As a gif, it looks like the fastest cook ever.

On the table:
trky.png

Caribbean pineapple honey glazed ham -15 lb, smoked in a MES 30.

Cure recipe/calculation:
curecalc.png

In the smoker:
ham-in smoker.jpg

Out of the smoker:
ham-a.jpg

ham-b.jpg

On the Table:
ham-c.jpg

A baked and a smoked hasselback butternut squash
...So that the vegetarian at the table also gets a centerpiece dish and not just sides:
squash.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
That gif is awesome! A thanksgiving feast. Love the colour. You put a lot of effort into that and reaped the rewards.

did you cook the hassleback in the same smoker as the meat? If so how did you get away with it with the vegetarian? i pretty much have to use seperate non meat utensils with ours.

Last edited:
Awesome time lapse, LOL I watched it for way to long
Everything looks great and I love the way you laid out your recipe and calculations on that spreadsheet.

PD that's a great looking bird and an awesome meal. So what are you cooking your bird over? Charcoal, wood, both? What's your set up? I use a WSM 22 for my direct fire rotisserie and I'm constantly changing the set up.

That all looks great !
.So that the vegetarian at the table also gets a centerpiece dish and not just sides:
Good lookin out for all your guest . That's awesome and I'm sure it was appreciated .
Nice work .

Thanks for the kind words and likes everyone!

did you cook the hassleback in the same smoker as the meat?
It was done in the same smoker as I cook meat, but not at the same time as the meat was being smoked. Same as the baked hassleback as I only have one oven. Vegetarians all seem to have slightly different limits on what is and what isn’t acceptable. As difficult as this one can be I suppose it could be worse.

love the way you laid out your recipe and calculations on that spreadsheet.
Thanks DanMcG DanMcG ! I posted my calculator on a different thread a while back,
#17 here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/ham-curing-questions.291053/

So what are you cooking your bird over? Charcoal, wood, both? What's your set up?
I use a Webber 22. Bird was cooked over charcoal and I tried maintaining the temperature ~325°F. I use two charcoal baskets and top off with 3-5 briquetts per basket per hour or so. Tried a charcoal snake, but the temp doesn’t get high enough. I keep a pan in the middle to catch the drippings. Cartoon of the setup below.
The turkey itself was dry brined overnight (Salt: Black Pepper: Baking Powder, 3:1:1), and injected with a stick of butter just before cooking. No other spices, no stuffing. Total cook time ~5 hours.
setup.png

Reactions: texomakid
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky