Thanksgiving Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
So I had all these big plans to smoke a turkey again this year when our daughter comes up and tells her mother that she wants an oven baked turkey like we did when they were growing up. Not real sure how much of that is her and how much is my wife, but I guess it'll be oven baked. A little bummed about it, but what am I going to do? Baked turkey it is, got to keep the women in my life happy. Well, at least as happy as I can...

Bummer maybe you could sneak in a smoked one to after all need plenty for leftovers

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
I'm rowing that boat with you. The difference with me is the wife and kids like my smoked turkey but we are hosting the family and the parents want baked. I thought about 2 smaller birds and baking one and smoking the other but just gave in.

Reactions: mr1drful
I LOVE smoked turkey but honestly don't want it for my Thanksgiving dinner. Just doesn't work. If you have to smoke something, I would suggest a double smoked ham.

Reactions: chopsaw
At our house way back when it was we needed oven baked and fried but since it was a family and extended family thing it required multiple turkeys so no big deal. When I got into smoking it became smoked and fried. I was in chat one night with some others and we got to talking about doing turkeys and we came up with smo-fried and I tried it a few days later and it was a hit with our family

So I had all these big plans to smoke a turkey again this year when our daughter comes up and tells her mother that she wants an oven baked turkey like we did when they were growing up.

I feel for ya but have a solution. Load your smoker pellet tube, light it, and put it in the oven with the turkey. When the kitchen fills with smoke, which won't take long, she'll yell "get that thing out of here!!" and you're free to finish it on the smoker :emoji_laughing:

Thinking prolly not,
Robert

Nothing wrong with oven baked . Find some turkey legs , cure 'em up and smoke 'em . Even if you don't eat them that day , they go great in the crock pot at a later date .

A Norman Rockwell turkey is a thing to be proud of in my book!

At our house way back when it was we needed oven baked and fried but since it was a family and extended family thing it required multiple turkeys so no big deal. When I got into smoking it became smoked and fried. I was in chat one night with some others and we got to talking about doing turkeys and we came up with smo-fried and I tried it a few days later and it was a hit with our family

Hey Piney,
Does the smoke flavor still stay in the turkey after the fry portion?
Cause that sounds really good to me!
Sorry GS, didn’t mean to hijack your thread!
Al

Hey Piney,
Does the smoke flavor still stay in the turkey after the fry portion?
Cause that sounds really good to me!
Sorry GS, didn’t mean to hijack your thread!
Al

It seems to Al people that eat it talk about getting the best of both ways. Before we moved I was doing 8-10 turkeys that way for the hospital staff if she was working and it's the was they always wanted them

It seems to Al people that eat it talk about getting the best of both ways. Before we moved I was doing 8-10 turkeys that way for the hospital staff if she was working and it's the was they always wanted them

OK thanks Piney. I will have to give it a try. I bought a couple of turkeys that were on sale for $.49 lb. and they are in the freezer. We are having ham for TG Day, but when I thaw one out I will give it a try. What temp do you take the turkey to in the smoker & about how long is the fry portion?
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky