Thanksgiving at my house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tonybel

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
San Berdoo CA
Hers my little adventure in smoking our turkey.

Started with a standard brine and added a few oranges and 2 limes. A few bay leaves. It was a 36 hour brine.

I used this injection and cherry wood.

The bird was buttered everywhere and under the skin. Seasoned with butter ball cajon seasoning. Injected the breast and thighs.

Had trouble keeping the temps @ 325 But did all the necessary adjustments to make it happen. Here we are after messing with the smoker trying to get the temp up.

Here where I start my shenanigans. I was flipping the bird every 45 min. Not shown was me foiling the wings and legs once I got the color I wanted.

This year the family was split up due to other family members coming from out of state.

Here I am with my sister. Maribel with her brother who recently moved out of his home to be on his own.

My brother and his girlfriend.

Here it is after 4 hours of being smoked.

I ripped of the legs and wings and started to cut up the rest. Not the prettiest way to do it but it worked.

No plated pic of the meal. But we had it simple with mashed potatoes and stuffing.
To be honest the turkey was very moist and full of flavors. The best one I have ever made!

Thanks for stopping by and looking.

Tony and Maribel.

Nice turkey, Tony! And a nice looking family, too, You did a great job!

I have not seen that Butterball injection liquid in my area. What did you think of it?

Great looking bird Tony! Bad looking jersey's though (Go 'Skins!) lol. I might have to check out the turkey injection stuff you showed. I never even knew it existed! It'll make things a little easier next year. I also have problems keeping my smoker over 300. It handles like a DREAM between 200-280, but trying to get anything higher is a battle. Luckily I rarely have to get temps above 280 (low & slow!), but I was wondering what methods you used to get yours up. I've heard lump charcoal and/or wood burns hotter, so I'm considering trying that next time I need higher smoking temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky