Thanks For The Summer Sausage Recipe, Now Pepperoni Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lathechips

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Now I need a smoked pepperoni mix with the anise & fennel seeds + everything else.

Here is one that I use. I like it spicy but you can always change to your liking.
SPICY PEPPERONI

2 lbs of either -1lb Ground Beef with 1lb Ground Pork
½ tsp Cure #1
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp mustard seed (or mustard powder)
1 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seed.
4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sugar
5 tsp paprika
1 tsp anise
3 tsp salt
2 tsp cayenne(optional)
3 Tbs water (add all the dry to the water)

2 tsp liq smoke if your not going to use a smoker.
Mix the ingredients to the meat and fridge for 1 day but no longer than 3 days

Stuff and smoke them in your smoker. Start at a low temperature(130) for about an hour to dry then slowly raise temperature to@170 until you get an IT of 155.

R Blum, Thanks. I tried this over the weekend and ran 2# of your original and 2# reduced heat. The original is back of the throat hot to eat and the reduced one is damn nice on pizza. Thanks.

Thanks R BLum!! This is one that I've been wanting to make for a while now. Got the recipe copied, pasted, and printed. gonna be next on the list to make....this afternoon or tomorrow.

Robert

Hmmmm....this is getting dangerous. It's making me think :-) I believe I'm going to add some ECA to get that aged "tang", which I've come to love in certain sausages.

Additionally, I'm thinking this recipe may well make some really good pepperoni snack sticks.

Gonna use the medium grind plate for the pepperoni and stuff it into 1 7/8" fibrous casings, let hang a day or two, then smoke. Let sit again overnight then slice. If the taste is as I think it's going to be, then I plan to try the snack sticks. Those will be run through the small plate, stuffed, left to hang in the fridge overnight, then smoked the next day.

Yep, thinking can be a dangerous thing for me,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky