Thai kangaroo salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
This will unfold later today my time. 

Seared fillet,layer onto top of a fairly regulation Thai salad,lots of green herbs,dressing ,lime juice ,fish sauce etc. 

Very summer dish.

Salad is fresh mint,cilantro,basil, watercress. Thai holy basil would be best but its not always available in my hood.
I add cucumber, salad onion,red pepper,you could add peanuts but I forgot,roasted rice,or pomelo .
Dressing is zest & juice of 2 limes, fat tab fish sauce, splash of rice vinegar, some soy, then taste it .add palm sugar or substitute. Check again then I added some of this roasted chilli with peanuts in it I can't find a name for it in English .I will put a photo up.
Packs a punch.

OK  here is the finished product.

There are much more dainty Thai salads than this. I don't do dainty well
biggrin.gif
I think you can tinker with the greens,I like watercress,that holy basil is a great thing if you can find it.Really screams authentic Thai.

There are lots of regional variations & ingredients.The pomelo is a nice touch butI had enough citrus. Few roasted peanuts if I  had remembered.

Its really ultimately about the dressing.I bumped it with some ,lemon grass & garlic,I thought I had the roasted chilli with peanuts but it turned out to be with black beans
33.gif
 No point looking at the label on the jar
biggrin.gif
.Good product just the same.

I hit the roo hard & fast,then rested it then sliced it.It had some nice flavours from the 90 minutes in the marinade.

The dressing was really nice I make versions of it a lot so its a feel thing for me now. BUT if you start with lime juice,palm sugar,fish sauce,rice vinegar, & then adjust it ,to sweet or to sharp THEN add your heat either fresh chilli or something out of a jar that seems to me to be the best method .Just saying. If you like a bit of soy sauce you do that,if you like that keycap manis do that,its just a balancing act.

Its the first week of summer here so I am cooking seasonally. Not much help to you snowbound crew now but I think with the right cut that great venison I see on the forum it would be a winner.

Hope you liked it MICK

Hope when you say you hit the 'roo hard & fast, it was with the grill at home, not the one on your bakkie!!

Seriously, looks great, which variety of roo is this? I imagine some are better than others??

Mark

That sure looks great. I don't recall that on any menus when I was there
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
 I was in Perth when I was in the service, had a great time there and met a lot of nice people.
th_anim_burp.gif

What a great looking meal and how nice to see it is summer somewhere. We had six inches more snow yesterday!

Disco

Glad it was a hit with you all. In answer to the questions
1) In my state it's Western Red or Eastern Grey the 2 biggest. Wallaby is turning up on restaurant menus including smoked I will have to track it down.Its coming from other states.
2) Perth is a great town had a massive kick along from the mining boom. Its 4 hours by jet so I don't get there much.
3) There is a huge amount of Thai food here . A beef salad is one most menu s although it may be a case f the chef now having access to better beef than he did back home. Sometimes called " crying tiger" ?
4) Lots of Aussie chefs use Thai ingredients & rework dishes. I think it's really about the dressing & fresh herbs .Really suits the summer here. I do a BBQ duck,watercress & mango version for Xmas dinner sometimes.
5) When ever I said I was cold as a kid I gt the response " You don't know what cold is" from my Canadian mother,then Dad would chip in with a story about working in Sudbury Ontario. Didn't make me feel any warmer.

That looks great! When are you taking orders for the Kangaroo? what are your shipping costs?

Our resident mermaid Leah can get it so it must be available. 

Its really lean,very healthy. But over cook it & its shot. I like the Asian kitchen approach.

We have millions of the things,literally millions. All field shot & strictly controlled.Farmed venison is expensive ,the ones that were introduced by some bone headed Englishman (along with the rabbit & fox) are inbred & scrawny in the wild ,in my state anyway.Bit different down south.

I would not rate it above the venison I ate in Europe & Canada.We just go with what we got here.

Mick

The roo looks wonderful and perfectly cooked. I've done it a few times and agree with the hard and fast method. Anything beyond rare or barely medium rare goes to the trash or is reserved for stews, etc. The marinade and salad dressing are also flavors that are I prefer. All in all, a perfect meal.

Oddly, but fortunately, I have a source for kangaroo meat and other exotic game meat about 30 minutes south of my home in Chicago. The availability of roasts, chops, loins, and steaks is spotty, but they always have ground roo on hand. A number of years ago, for my wife's grandmothers 90th birthday, we did a cook out and I supplemented regular ground beef hamburgers with some kangaroo and lion burgers. The old girl was raving about them exclaiming that "This was they way burgers tasted when I was young". She passed away a few days later.

Last edited:
Ground doesn't get much traction here,pet food mostly.

Like a lot of things its often the first impression that sticks. 

I like it rare but a lot of Aussie's wont eat it. Until you have seen just how many of them there are here its hard to get your head around.

They are perfectly adapted to the environment,low impact,organic & tasty.Winning combination
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky