Texture of casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I have gotten started hard and heavy into sausage making and have processed around 300 lbs of various styles of sausage in the past couple months.

I have noticed that sometimes I get some bits of chewy casing on my sausages. I had initially just attributed this to natural variations in the casings and thought that that was that and what could I do?

So, here is my question...

Is some bits of chewy casing to be expected or did I get a processing step wrong?

I noticed this on my smoked Polish and my fresh bratwurst. Any insights you can provide would be most useful.

JC :emoji_cat:

Did you soak them in water with a tsp of vinegar for a couple of hours before using them? Also I cut mine off very close to the meat, because that end piece between the links can be chewy. Also, where are you buying your casings at?
Al

Reactions: indaswamp
Are your packed in a brine solution or dry salt when you bought them? The little home pack which is packed in salt I find is an inferior product to the casings packed in brine solution.

Thanks everyone for the replies. See my answers below.

What type of casing are you using?

I have used 32- 35 mm hog casings from LEM and The Sausage Maker

Cal
Did you soak them in water with a tsp of vinegar for a couple of hours before using them? Also I cut mine off very close to the meat, because that end piece between the links can be chewy. Also, where are you buying your casings at?
Al

I soak them in water and rinse them on the inside but have not used vinegar in the water. I may have to give that a try. Also, I usually soak the casing for 30 minutes before I start stuffing.

Are your packed in a brine solution or dry salt when you bought them? The little home pack which is packed in salt I find is an inferior product to the casings packed in brine solution.

I have only used casings packed in salt brine.

Hey JC, there are so many reasons for a chewy casing it would be hard to pinpoint it without a ton more info.
I would have said that your keibasi might be chewy because it could have been smoked too long with not enough moisture, but then you say your fresh ones are chewy too. so It might be the casing.
I started storing my casings in a 10% solution of salt water and they seem to be more tender then just soaking for a couple hours or overnight.

Reactions: JC in GB
I only notice that sometimes with smoked, not with fresh. I just figured it was the smoking drying it out or not enough fat in the mix?
300 lbs in a couple of months? Yeah that's pretty hot and heavy LOL! I just let mine soak in water overnight in the fridge, using pre-tubed from Syracuse Casing.
It might just be a difference in pigs...

Hey JC, there are so many reasons for a chewy casing it would be hard to pinpoint it without a ton more info.
I would have said that your keibasi might be chewy because it could have been smoked too long with not enough moisture, but then you say your fresh ones are chewy too. so It might be the casing.
I started storing my casings in a 10% solution of salt water and they seem to be more tender then just soaking for a couple hours or overnight.

All good points. Yes, I am at a loss as of right now. The sausage meat was tender and juicy, it was only certain pieces of the casing that were more like chewing gum. My first guess was that because the fresh and smoked sausages exhibited the same characteristics that it must just be natural variations in the casing.

Anyway, it isn't a huge deal as my sausages have been top quality IMHO. I am one of those guys that good enough just isn't good enough. It has to be right and any way I can make it better will be tried. :emoji_smile_cat:

Thanks for your reply....

Reactions: DanMcG
All good points. Yes, I am at a loss as of right now. The sausage meat was tender and juicy, it was only certain pieces of the casing that were more like chewing gum. My first guess was that because the fresh and smoked sausages exhibited the same characteristics that it must just be natural variations in the casing.

Anyway, it isn't a huge deal as my sausages have been top quality IMHO. I am one of those guys that good enough just isn't good enough. It has to be right and any way I can make it better will be tried. :emoji_smile_cat:

Thanks for your reply....

Well, I hope you figure it out, things like that do happen from time to time. You made me laugh though, with your, good enough just isn’t good enough comment. I’m the same way, I’m never satisfied, I can make a sausage and
think “yes this is it” but then make the same sausage again and think, well maybe if I did this or changed that.....
It can be very frustrating at times but I guess that is part of the fun of the hobby. Good luck with your sausage making and as always, have fun.

Cal

Chewy casings can come from many things like under stuffing, casings packed in salt, poor quality casings or old casings. Good fresh quality casings packed in a salt brine solution is the best way to a nice thin bite. When the casings become soft, wet and pliable you can pack the sausage tightly stretching the casing making it thinner. It is also important not to dry the sausage before smoking. Storing in the fridge uncovered/drying and smoking the next day will result in chewy casings. sausages should be smoked right after stuffing or kept covered and wet. Before smoking, sausages should hang with little air circulation to form a pellicle on the sausage surface for smoke to adhere. 2 hrs of cold smoke before smoking will give the sausage a nice smokey flavor.

Hope this helps

Boykjo

Chewy casings can come from many things like under stuffing, casings packed in salt, poor quality casings or old casings.

Boykjo

Yes, that was quite helpful. After reading all the responses, I have determined that it is due ot a combination of not soaking the casings long enough and/or insufficient stuffing.

It makes perfect sense as I was really getting the casing off the tube quickly. I am sure I may have had some lengths that were not sufficiently stuffed.

Once again, thanks to this forum and the very helpful members. You guys and ladies make the learning curve look like a hockey stick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky