TexMex Night at the Relleno House

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Buenas noches y hola a todos mis amigos, es noche texmex en la casa de los Rellenos.
Good evening my friends, it's TexMex night at the Relleno house.

My family wanted more Rolled Tacos, I wanted Chimichangas, so hey lets do both.
Thus a couple of Chuckies were acquired for doing both with shredded beef.

Shredded Beef for Chimichangas and Rolled Tacos
Dry brine the chucks with liberally applied Kosher salt for 4 hours per side.
Preheat oven to 375°.
In smoking hot cast iron give them a heavy sear and transfer to a dutch oven.
In the same cast iron, roast some onions and bell peppers.

3cUQGK3.jpg 1mqMcAU.jpg

Add a mix of fresh salsa casera, sofrito and beef broth, for spices some Guajillo chile powder, cumin and Mexican oregano.

xeLxChn.jpg
375° for 2.5 hours, lower to 250°, add some more beef broth if needed and finish till tender.

YLm1rGf.jpg

Save the braising liquid, cool and defat it to use in some rice or beans, I used about half of mine in my rice.
Cool and shred the beef.

IyHxoUE.jpg XfFFoKU.jpg

Okay lets make the Chimichangas
First things first, you'll need Extra Large (10"+)tortillas, the bigger the better,
And remember to heat your tortillas up so they don't tear/crack as you're rolling such as chimichangas, burritos and rolled tacos.
For flour tortillas a hot frying pan or griddle works best.
For corn tortillas, I either steam or dip quickly in hot oil.
Lay a tortilla down and add your fillings, I used roasted onion, bell pepper and shredded beef.
You can use whatever meat you like, other fillings added to the meat are veggies, potatoes, cheese and salsa/pico, to name a few.

F7GQGUU.jpg

Wrap it up proper and toothpick or two so it'll not unwrap in the fryer.
Heat oil to 350°-375° and deep fry until golden brown.
If you're making a lot of food like me, you can keep previous batches hot/safe in a 170° oven.

4WaZSaa.jpg RxpBb5V.jpg

Arroz Mexicana? Not your traditional, this was super beefy flavored and spicy!
In home-style Mexican cooking the liquids from braising meats, cooking beans and such is often used to flavor rice dishes.
My usual recipe but instead of tomato puree or sofrito, I'm using the thick and spicy braising liquid saved from cooking the Chucks.
I used 1-1/2 cups of it along with 3 cups of chicken stock, and some of the roasted onion/bell peppers chopped.
My younger son who is a huge fan of 'Beef Rice-a-Roni', said this similar but 100X times better.

Some Plated Pics to Complete Your Voyeuristic Journey

2XNYWIw.jpg 5CKdH3J.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man! Sign me up for a hefty plate of that beef. Don’t matter if it’s chimichanga or rolled. Heck, I’ll even take what you feed to the dog.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Dude, I'd buy a ticket to that meal. Looks great! You know the more I cook and eat my own cooking I find that I have lost the desire to go to a restaurant. And you keep posting this kind of meals just makes me want to cook more.
Jim

Man that looks awesome Chile!! Those flavors make my mouth water just reading
Really appreciate it Jeff, thanks man.
I can spot a Southern Californian from a mile away.
That looks freak'in awesome Chili,
Yes'sir Dan,
can't deny the SoCal and NW Texas influences in my life.
thank you mush for the compliments.
Fantastic looking meal John.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris,
It was as good as it looks too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve H
Dude, I'd buy a ticket to that meal. Looks great! You know the more I cook and eat my own cooking I find that I have lost the desire to go to a restaurant. And you keep posting this kind of meals just makes me want to cook more.
Jim
Thanks Jim.
I hear ya man, and when I do go to a restaurant most of the time I'm disappointed.
Looks so good chile!
Thank you, thank you.
Delish!! man...makes me want some of that!
Thanks Dave!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky