Texas Red

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eman

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 3, 2009
Made a big pot of Texas Red yesterday.

9 lbs ground beef and 1 lb of diced smoked brisket.

2 lg diced onions

1 diced bell pepper

4 stalks diced celery

1 1/2 cups dark chilli poeder

1/3 cup cumin

1/2 cup spanish paprika

1/3 cup sugar

1/8 cup red pepper flakes

4 28oz cans dieced tomatos

3 28 oz cans tomato sauce

sautee the vegetables in a little oil till done.

add ground beef to pot and brown ( stirring every now and then)

Once the meat is browned ,Drain w/ a collander.

Put the meat and veggies back into the pot and add the diced up brisket.

Add all the seasonings and mix well.

add the tomatos w/ juice and stir.

Add the tomato sauce and stir.

bring to a slow boil ,stirring occasionally.

reduce heat to a simmer ,stir ,cover pot and let simmer for 1 hour. stirring every 15 min.

According to the clan here. this was the best chilli i have ever whipped up.

The smoked brisket added the perfect ammount of smoke to the pot.

Based on the list of ingredients, that has to taste positively Bon-A-Roo! It's all good my friend.

my cooking  just like my smoking is usually done BIG.

I have allways said that if i do a small batch ,that means i just have to do another small batch real soon.

Most foods are better after being frozen anyway.

I really didn't figure that anyone wanted to see a big black pot of chilli bubbling on the stove

hence no q view.

But the mad scientest in me is thinking about makeing the next batch in the MES . Kinda like doing wicked beans.

eman, I agree big batches since I have the smoker on the clock. Chili always reminds me of blazing saddles for some reason.
icon_rolleyes.gif

eman, I agree big batches since I have the smoker on the clock. Chili always reminds me of blazing saddles for some reason.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Everyone get back or the "sherrif " gets it.

Bingo,

I gave a member of a boating forum a recipe for chili,  he emailed  me back to ask how much beans to add.  I told him I quit adding beans to my Chile when I got out of College and found a job.

Eman your chili sounds great! I think the addition of the smoke will make it rock.  I  just need me some japs or habaneros cause like Rich I am a chili head. Thanks for the recipe

Oh I will be soooo be trying out your recipe sir, that sounds exactly like what I have been looking for to christen my new cast iron dutch oven over an open fire. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now your recipe sounds great there Bob. Now we to made a good pot of chili ourselfs without beans in this household if I have anything to do with it.

Beans are for cooking dowm in a pot w/ some ham hocks or sausage and served over rice.

Chilli don't have beans.

We participate in the Houston livestock and Rodeo bbq cookoff every year and make some good TX chili too... aint nothing better!

Nice looking recipe...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky