Texas Poutine! #SorryNotSorry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Texas Poutine!

l.jpg

A week or so ago my cousin had sent me a pic of some Pulled Pork Poutine that he made and of course I wanted some... I had a pork butt that I had just thawed out too, so all was aligning! Once I split the pork cryovac though, there was an noticeable odor to it. Luckily I had a brisket thawed and ready to roll so I pivoted to that and decided to put a fun twist on classic poutine.

I went out and started up the Pitts & Spitts and lit the Amaze-N-Torch! :emoji_grin:

Pecan pellets in the hopper and in the smoke tube. I ran the pit at 180°F for the first few hours, then set at 225°F before bed. After wrapping I went to 250°F to finish it off.

a.jpg

I Made up some of my usual spritz of ACV, Wooster, and Water. Plus a Jack and Coke for the cook...

b.jpg

Brisket on for a few hours and getting that color!

c.jpg

Woke up to this sight and knew the day was gonna be good.

d.jpg

About an hour later (11 hours total) it got wrapped in butcher paper with some of the spritz. Internal was around 165°F ish iirc...

f.jpg

I started probing around 195°F for tenderness and think it felt right about 198°F-200°F so I pulled and tossed it into the Alto Shaam at 155°F for a few hours

e.jpg

This turned out to be one of the better briskets I've done recently. I think a lot had to do with some extra render time in the holding cabinet. Flat moisture was really good. Texture was soft but just held together.

g.jpg

I sliced some, chopped some, and cubed some point for the poutine.

h.jpg

I collected all the drippings and goodness from the paper and the pan to use in the upcoming gravy.

For the Gravy I did the following:

4 Tbsp Butter
4 Tbsp Flour
1/2 Sweet Onion Grated
24 oz Bone Broth
6 oz ish drippings
2 Tbsp BBQ Rub

j.jpg

Next up I grabbed a couple jalapenos from the plant out back and made up some quick pickled jalapenos. I used this recipe here.

Ingredients:
10 large jalapeno peppers, sliced
3 tbsp sugar (I like these kind of sweet, so use less or no sugar if you don’t)
3/4 cup white distilled vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic

I scaled this back a lot since I had only a couple small jalapenos.

i.jpg

Luckily the store had some cheese Curds. Only 1 bag left. that would've thrown a wrench into the plans haha.

k.jpg

For the Fries I went with some Red Robin Steak Fries. Next time I'll have to make my own...

And final pic again

l.jpg

and before tx smoker tx smoker and Brokenhandle Brokenhandle jump on me... I went sparingly on the gravy for the pic but I promise I made y'all proud with what I added afterwards.

Final Thoughts:

This was a really good meal. I was super happy with the brisket by itself, but the end result made me really happy. The Gravy was amazing and I now have another use for the drippings from smoked meat sessions. The jalapenos were a nice balance of sweet/heat and went really well with the dish IMHO. I have already repeated this meal a few times, but went the route of mix it all up and not be picky with food placement for photos haha. Quicker cooking to eating time is always a good thing!

tl;dr

bd54bc02-ed70-455a-b8db-a3c8c61d0680_text.gif

b632517d-4c76-4bde-bf82-5fa2e5489124_text.gif

Cheers Y'all!

Holy smoke Zach!! That is absolutely spectacular!! Another magazine quality, 5-star meal that is most likely gonna be up on the spinner here shortly. Great job there my friend. Now you got the cogs turning. I have a nice chink of leftover brisket in the freezer from the last one I did. Hmmmm...

Big LIKE buddy!!
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Holy smoke Zach!! That is absolutely spectacular!! Another magazine quality, 5-star meal that is most likely gonna be up on the spinner here shortly. Great job there my friend. Now you got the cogs turning. I have a nice chink of leftover brisket in the freezer from the last one I did. Hmmmm...

Big LIKE buddy!!
Robert

Thanks Robert! Highly recommend tinkering with the idea. With the gravy kick going on it'll fit right in! Plus that Mushroom gravy you just made may kick it up another notch!

Holy Smokes !! Now that's fantastic . My goodness . Awesome idea and meal . You nailed that brisket too . Wow .

Appreciate it! I'm kind of glad the pork butt was a miss as it lead to this. But I still need to try it with Pulled Pork too haha.

Looks really good to me.

Thanks!

Wow man the creativity never ends. Looks beautiful and delicious. Right up my alley so I'm gonna be doing this very soon

Thanks Jake! And definitely recommend trying some. All sorts of combinations and flavors possible.

Looks awesome Zach! For a minute ya had me worried...thought someone got to that pot of gravy before you had a chance to use any!

Very nice!
Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I knew I better throw a disclaimer in there haha! That gravy was great! I need to start stockpiling drippings and renderings more often.

View attachment 458253

Looks awesome man! Really likes the dish and that brisket looks about perfect. Big LIKE

tenor.gif

Thanks John! was one of the better briskets in awhile.

TLDR made me :emoji_laughing:
Where to start?
Everything in that skillet cries, *Eat Me!* to this ol'glutton.
And I'm hollering back, *Get in mah belly!*

And Zack, like the others I was wondering, *Where the hell is the gravy?*
Glad you added that bit for all us confused Chow hounds.

Thanks Chili! I couldn't not include some Super Troopers in any discussion about poutine :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

I knew I would catch all sorts of crap if I didn't add the disclaimer either. It would be fully warranted though haha! That stuff was good enough on the spoon alone, I had to send those fries and brisket swimming before I dug in!

Sheeeezh Zack, now I'm daydreaming Mexican Poutine while driving these 18 wheels.

Just got to keep the shiny side up in the dirty side down while envisioning
this.

I'm sure you'll come up with something amazing! that idea alone put a big hungry grin on my face! I'll be waiting!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky