Texas Hot Links

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kvgsqtii

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 28, 2022
SC
Had half a chuck roast left over after making some beef stroganoff earlier in the week. Wanted to make some sausage and settled on Texas hot links. Followed Chud BBQ's recipe for the most part, except I cut back on the cayenne by 25% and omitted the turmeric as I didn't have any.

1674421872344.png

I broke the KA grinder attachment grinding the last bit of meat. The locating pin snapped off the body where it indexes on the mixer. Luckily it was still within the Amazon return window, and I was able to leverage that into getting a LEM 1224 and a horizontal stuffer so future batches will be much easier.

20230121_204857.jpg

Chuck cubed and into the freezer, it was 1146g in total.

20230121_204934.jpg

Ready to grind.
20230121_204934.jpg

It was this pin here that snapped off. I was able to finish by tightening down more on the set screw, but it wasn't ideal.

Got the meat ground and spices mixed in and then stuffed into 32mm? Hog casing. No pictures of that process cause I got busy, my hands got dirty and I forgot.
20230122_112301.jpg

Stuffed and ready to go into the fridge overnight.
20230122_144944.jpg

Into some smoke this morning. I had to add the water pan to help keep the temps down. It started full of ice.

20230122_155947.jpg

Afterwards it was into an ice bath to cool off and then most was vac sealed for later, wife decided she didn't want sausage for dinner, but I couldn't help throw one on the grill to taste. Gotta make sure they're fit for human consumption right.
20230122_163226.jpg

And, delicious. Just the right heat level. Hot enough to know its a hot link without heat being all you taste. Definitely on my list to make again.

edit: spelling errors

Last edited:
Kvgsqtii Kvgsqtii nice writeup and pics, thx! Sorry to hear about the thing breaking, most all of those KA grinders are weak cheap pot metal. Only one I would buy is the stainless one from Smokehousechef.com.

Glad it worked out to an upgrade though! ;)

Reactions: Kvgsqtii
Kvgsqtii Kvgsqtii nice writeup and pics, thx! Sorry to hear about the thing breaking, most all of those KA grinders are weak cheap pot metal. Only one I would buy is the stainless one from Smokehousechef.com.

Glad it worked out to an upgrade though! ;)
D Dave in AZ , thanks for the like. I looked at that one. Seems like a very nice unit, but at $159 I can get a LEM standalone grinder for less. From reading reviews here and elsewhere it looks like the weak link in the LEM #8 Countertop is the plastic gears which they sell for $2.99 so cheap enough to keep a couple on hand in case of breakage. And a stuffer... getting tacky meat down through the grinder is a major pita.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Those links look good on my screen. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Kvgsqtii
It sure looks fit to eat to me! Nice write up and congrats on the ride...
The one I cooked was delicious. Nice snappy casing and a really good bind. Happy with it as my 2nd attempt at sausage.
Great looking links! Congratulations on the Feature too!
Thanks Kilo
They look fantastic
Thanks Dan
Those links look good on my screen. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky