Tex Mex enchiladas and Spanish rice (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texas Cookin'

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 28, 2019
Hello SMF! I think I’ve posted something similar to this before but not sure. Anyway, I wanted to share how we do this tex mex version of enchiladas out here.

First I browned some hamburger meat and placed it aside. Next I sprayed the corn tortillas with canola spray and placed them i a 325 degree oven for about 4 mins to soften them up. This keeps them from breaking when you roll them.
C4C27DEF-3A4D-4EFF-A150-2E0E5699186D.jpeg

Next I made my enchilada sauce. We do it simple out here. First I mix 3 cups of water with 1/3 cup flour with a whisk.
4AD8C748-52E0-48C1-AEE8-FDA1AB7F1088.jpeg

Next I add this to a pan with 4T chili powder and 1t garlic salt. Whisk it all together over medium heat and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and let it thicken.
827D1A42-B994-404A-A226-71A88EB6EF06.jpeg

Now the fun begins. Today I made cheese and beef. I dip the corn tortillas in the sauce, add a healthy dose of cheddar cheese and roll. For the beef I use the same method just cheese and beef inside and I top with more ground beef.
3EA87112-BEFB-4A38-85FA-0A2DA19D0DC1.jpeg
1B9C77B6-CA6A-478C-8CD9-1ACF685639EA.jpeg

Once you have them all rolled up you top with more sauce and cheddar cheese and bake in a 350 oven until the cheese is all melted.
78683538-F49A-4761-A10E-E3D878DBA580.jpeg

Rice recipe

Brown 1 cup of white rice in a small amount of oil.

EF1A5112-EFCA-47CA-86D8-FE385EF53B20.jpeg

In a large mixing bowl mix 2.5 cups of water with 2t of knorr caldo de pollo. I microwave for 3 mins while I’m browning my rice. Once rice is browned add the water mixture, 1-8oz can tomato sauce, garlic powder and cumin to taste.
F4BCDEB2-AEB3-478C-B27B-6D199F20A2F1.jpeg

Bring it all to a boil while stirring. Reduce to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.

Finished product

D7CBCFAD-BD8C-4322-B06C-780D01E14EC3.jpeg

6951CEB8-0B75-428A-AAE4-2ECB57055D44.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D5A0104-CFBB-4EBC-8CC1-D28CD8DE8966.jpeg
    2D5A0104-CFBB-4EBC-8CC1-D28CD8DE8966.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yup, I’m New Mexican and this is pretty legit. Nice work, and so delicious.
Thank you sir. Plenty of ways to do it this is just how I was taught. I like that this is simple enough to whip up in about an hour tops.

Fred

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thank you sir. Plenty of ways to do it this is just how I was taught. I like that this is simple enough to whip up in about an hour tops.

Fred
All of this type food is made to be simple and delicious. It’s a fun rabbit hole to go down For most, but yes this is a perfect example of food I ate growing up in SW Colorado. Same thing. We share this from Utah all the way to West Texas. The food is delicious. And yes many different ways of doing the same thing. It’s all athentic.

Reactions: Texas Cookin'
Hello SMF! I think I’ve posted something similar to this before but not sure. Anyway, I wanted to share how we do this tex mex version of enchiladas out here.

First I browned some hamburger meat and placed it aside. Next I sprayed the corn tortillas with canola spray and placed them i a 325 degree oven for about 4 mins to soften them up. This keeps them from breaking when you roll them. View attachment 660805
Next I made my enchilada sauce. We do it simple out here. First I mix 3 cups of water with 1/3 cup flour with a whisk.
View attachment 660803
Next I add this to a pan with 4T chili powder and 1t garlic salt. Whisk it all together over medium heat and bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and let it thicken.
View attachment 660804
Now the fun begins. Today I made cheese and beef. I dip the corn tortillas in the sauce, add a healthy dose of cheddar cheese and roll. For the beef I use the same method just cheese and beef inside and I top with more ground beef.
View attachment 660806View attachment 660807
Once you have them all rolled up you top with more sauce and cheddar cheese and bake in a 350 oven until the cheese is all melted.
View attachment 660808

Rice recipe

Brown 1 cup of white rice in a small amount of oil.

View attachment 660811

In a large mixing bowl mix 2.5 cups of water with 2t of knorr caldo de pollo. I microwave for 3 mins while I’m browning my rice. Once rice is browned add the water mixture, 1-8oz can tomato sauce, garlic powder and cumin to taste. View attachment 660810
Bring it all to a boil while stirring. Reduce to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.

Finished product

View attachment 660813
View attachment 660812

Nice I tried enchiladas a while ago and they weren't very good. Makin this a fav for later use thanks for sharing. Love the rice to btw I lovE spanish rice

I could live off of corn tortillas, cheese, and beef (and seasoning of course)

I dunno how long I'd live on just those items - maybe the chili powder would have enough vitamin C to fight off scurvy...... but I know I never tire of simple enchiladas.

Those are perfect.

I've become lazy and don't roll mine anymore, just layers in a pan - but damn yours make me want to make a rolled batch.

Nice I tried enchiladas a while ago and they weren't very good. Makin this a fav for later use thanks for sharing. Love the rice to btw I lovE spanish rice
Thanks for the like! These are simple and very good. You can add a little raw onion on top if you like as well.

I could live off of corn tortillas, cheese, and beef (and seasoning of course)

I dunno how long I'd live on just those items - maybe the chili powder would have enough vitamin C to fight off scurvy...... but I know I never tire of simple enchiladas.

Those are perfect.

I've become lazy and don't roll mine anymore, just layers in a pan - but damn yours make me want to make a rolled batch.
I really appreciate it. I like them stacked as well, especially if I’m adding a fried egg on top.

Oh man, I could crush that! Enchiladas are my top 3 favorite foods and yours looks incredible. Great work and nice write up, points!

Oh man, I could crush that! Enchiladas are my top 3 favorite foods and yours looks incredible. Great work and nice write up, points!
Thank you for the like I appreciate it! I’m with you on the love for enchiladas.

They look great, and simple enough that even I could handle it. Nice Job!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Yes like said above , nice write up and they look amazing.

I will have to try some rolled up , and I know my belly would be hurting after a tray of those.

David
Thanks David. Try them out, you will enjoy them.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks for sharing this. A couple months ago I tried my hand at enchiladas for the first time, the results were okay in my book. First I dropped the ball and forgot to get some decent cheese, second the sauce didn't have enough kick.

You've inspired me to give it another go and will use this as a starting point, looks awesome!

Dave

Thanks for sharing this. A couple months ago I tried my hand at enchiladas for the first time, the results were okay in my book. First I dropped the ball and forgot to get some decent cheese, second the sauce didn't have enough kick.

You've inspired me to give it another go and will use this as a starting point, looks awesome!

Dave
Yes give it a go for sure. Don’t let the simplicity of the ingredients fool you on these. They are full of flavor still.

Fred

Reactions: Flatrate
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky