Testing a Baffle I Made ... Copied It From Another Poster Here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brickguy221

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Oklahoma City
Since the right side of my 40" BT MES runs hotter than the left side, I experimented today by making a baffle that goes around the sides of the water pan and sits up against the right wall. ( wish I could post a picture, but don't have the right camera to do so ).

I used my Maverick ET-33 to check the temperature on both sides at the third shelf level. For a while as smoker was heating, the temperature ran from being even on both sides to 2* difference. However, when the temperature got up to around 275*, the right side began running 10-12 degrees hotter than the left side and continued this way up to 300*. The Smoker said the temp was 260* and an oven thermometer sitting in the middle of the shelf said 250*. Maybe I had the Maverick probes too close to the wall, I don't know, but I am sure the wall temp is hotter than the temp is over the water pan where I had my oven thermometer. I probably need to run another test pulling the Maverick probes 3-4 inches away from the walls as well as putting them in the middle of shelf over the water pan where my oven thermometer was.

Anyhow, the wind was blowing 25+ mph. When the temp got up to 300 on the right probe and 288 on the left probe, I kept top vent wide open, but held my gloved hand over it somewhat protecting it from the wind and the left side temp came up a bit and the right side temp went down a bit and once again, they ran even to 2* difference.

A final test I did was pull the chip loader out 2" with dump side down and the left side ran 10-12 degrees hotter than the right side ... a reverse from the test above. ... Then again giving the top vent some protection from the wind, the temps evened up again.

Then last ... I put a few Pitmaster Mix Pellets in the chip loader, dumped them in the chip tray, pulled chip loader out 2" with dump side down and with 2-3 minutes, it began smoking ... and talk about smoke, it flooded the smoker with the heaviest smoke I have ever seen. Way-way more than wood chips do.... in fact too much smoke by far.

Has anyone ever burned pellets in their Smoker?

If I was going to use pellets in the chip tray, I wouldn't start with 18-20 like I did today as it was way-way too much smoke. I would probably try 6-8 pellets at the most to start. That might be a good thing though on the Jack Daniels pellets which don't produce much smoke with the Maze and not much more from the tube. I may try that next time I use JD pellets in the Maze or Tube and dump a few in the chip tray every 25-30 minutes or so. For a couple hrs...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky