TENN COUNTRY SMOKED BREAKFAST SAUSAGE 1st THREAD with Q-VIEWS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You got it,
sausage.gif

just cut off about 8-9" tie in knot then double loop around the bag as shown,

hang & smoke,

al

I just ordered some bags from the source you listed.  It's plenty cold enough here in Austin to make this sausage.  I showed your post to my mom and step father.  They both remembered this kind of sausage.  I want to make some.  Myself and my wife do not like a heavy smoke.  I noticed you smoked it for 35 hours.  I think I will try for no more than 8 hours.  It reminds me times long gone.  I really appreciate your posting this.  Thanks again

You're welcome Fished,

I just made my winter supply 17 bags last wk. I used the same recipe same smoke process. Just make sure the temp stays somewhere in the 50-70deg range "you don't want to cook the sausage".

Believe it or not smoking one day vs three I couldn't tell much difference in smoke!

The 35 hr smoke process came from talking to these farmers & butchers here in Clarksville, Tn. They use about the same process I use except they stay away from the cure, and like I said before,  the smoking process has a curing and fermenting affect on the sausage which gives it a distinct taste, unlike any type of fresh sausage. (reason to smoke 3 days). PM me if you need more assistance.
thumb1.gif

Tennsmoker

Hello Runnerbl,

I have never made this sausage using less than a 12 lb batch. You could take the original recipe and divide into smaller batches if you wish, don't see any problem, I just haven't done that. Thanks for asking  though.

You would have to make at least a two lb batch because that is what the cloth bags will hold!

al

Hello Runnerbl,

I have never made this sausage using less than a 12 lb batch. You could take the original recipe and divide into smaller batches if you wish, don't see any problem, I just haven't done that. Thanks for asking  though.

You would have to make at least a two lb batch because that is what the cloth bags will hold!

al
 Al- Thanks for your reply.  Where do you get the SPC and Dextrose?  I live in Bowling Green, Ky

Hello Runnerbl

I just ordered some of each from meatprocessingproducts.com  They have a special going on now.  If you buy two of each you save  about $10 on each of them.  My bags came in, just have to wait on the other stuff.  Sure am looking forward to making some of this sausage.

Thanks for posting this TennSmoker

Myself and my wife made pounds of this sausage up yesterday.  She didn't want me to make the full batch incase we didn't like it.  We also made up 5 pounds of summer sausage and 5 pounds of Pop's breakfast sausage.  I'll take pictures of the finished process.  I can't do it any better justice than what TennSmoker has already shone.  Thanks for all the help TennSmoker.  I'm sure it will be great.

Myself and my wife made pounds of this sausage up yesterday.  She didn't want me to make the full batch incase we didn't like it.  We also made up 5 pounds of summer sausage and 5 pounds of Pop's breakfast sausage.  I'll take pictures of the finished process.  I can't do it any better justice than what TennSmoker has already shone.  Thanks for all the help TennSmoker.  I'm sure it will be great.
Did you cold smoke the sausage?

I have smoked it for about 8 hours.  Even with only the amps my smoker temperature went up to around 85.  Now I'm not sure if I want to trust it to still be good.  I kept going out to open the door to bring the temperature down.  Just don't know if it will be safe.

I have smoked it for about 8 hours.  Even with only the amps my smoker temperature went up to around 85.  Now I'm not sure if I want to trust it to still be good.  I kept going out to open the door to bring the temperature down.  Just don't know if it will be safe.
If you used cure#1 then I think it would be fine.  That is what the cure is for.

Thanks for the question, Captain

here is the instructions in detail

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/127538/smoke-house-plans-materials-plus-1st-q-views

also, you can click on Tennsmoker, then click on threads started, then click on SMOKE HOUSE PLANS & MATERIAL'S plus 1st Q-Views.

This is the plans that i used to build my smoke house.

The best step i used is buying only three sheets of plywood instead of four (saves $$).

Cut the 4'X8' sheet's to 3 ft wide then cut one ft off which you will end up with 3 sheets 3'X6'.  

Now take the 3 pieces excess (one ft wide ea)  and attach together with 1"X4" furring strips, this will be used for the back side of the smoke house, or the fourth sheet - side.

I also used the 3 pieces 12"X12" scrap on the bottom. no waste at all!

All these instructions are in detail on the web page thread mentioned above.

Have fun, good luck,

Reactions: blue hill
Do you think that this recipe would work with (gasp!) ground turkey instead of pork? I made some patties using a pork recipe and used turkey instead and they turned out pretty good.

I wouldn't think so.

I know you didn't want to hear that!!  Not enought fat. Part of the process of making Tenn Country Breakfast Sausage is the "fermenting" of the pork over two to three days. I don't believe that would happen with ground turkey.

The only suggestion I would have would be to add "pork fat"  in order to end up up with a 60-40% --- 70-30% meat to fat ratio!!

Give it a try with a small batch. Remember to use cloth bags.Good Luck

al

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky