Tender Breaded chicken gizzards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IA pigsNcrops

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 6, 2019
Last Friday afternoon I had a request from my wife that she wanted crispy chicken gizzards for the weekend. I also love gizzards, but hate the sports bars tough as leather prebreaded gizzards they serve, which i usually request a knife for. So i started my adventure, got two lbs of gizzards from the store, and into a crockpot with chicken bouillon, water, carrots, onion, and 4 cloves of garlic. Broth covered the gizzsrds by about an inch, on low for 12 hrs. Then drained and refrigerated.

Now starts the mess, mixed some onion ring flour, doctored up with seasoning salt and italian seasoning. Mixed in some beer to make the batter.
20190407_122156.jpg

Now i took the gizzards, quick dunk in seasoned flour, then into the beer batter, then lastly the seasoned flour again. Got everything cleaned up, and noticed there was some leftover beer, so sipped on that while the oil warmed up to 350.
20190407_123414.jpg

Into the fryer they went, and fried till golden brown, which was about 4-5 minutes.
20190407_125103.jpg

The results were fantastic, great flavor, and every piece was bite through tender. Next time i think i will add a little more heat, but thats just me.

Reactions: GentlemanJerk
That's how it's done! Nice job.They have to be simmered until tender. The Broth is useful in any recipe that needs Chicken Broth. I like them Fried but Grandma made them by simmering then thickening the Broth into Gravy. Served over Rice or Egg Noodles, Gizzard and Gravy is really good too...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky