Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thecepileo

Original poster
Dec 23, 2023
I set my pellet smoker at 200F for a brisket but went I throw the brisket in the temperature went down to 160 is this normal

Reactions: JLeonard
Yep it’s normal. And most likely will shut off at some point in the night.

Where do you guys come up with these low cook temps? The internet?

I have smoked a lot with mine set as low as it will go for 2-4 hours before cranking it up, had to ride 250 a lot because there's no 275 and I only cook chicken at 300. also pit temps will run up and down 20-30 degree but don't worry it will run back up.

I saw a TV show with the best pork butt cooker in Georgia (think it was Georgia?) and he smoked 50 at a time for 24 hours at 225.
The bark and pull were amazing.
I did one butt on a pellet spitter for 24 hours at as close to 225 as I could get and it was the best pork I ever cooked.
So, not the internet but the TV.

I saw a TV show with the best pork butt cooker in Georgia (think it was Georgia?) and he smoked 50 at a time for 24 hours at 225.
The bark and pull were amazing.
I did one butt on a pellet spitter for 24 hours at as close to 225 as I could get and it was the best pork I ever cooked.
So, not the internet but the TV.

20 years ago, 225 was the target temp for low and slow. Its gone up over the years.

I ran my WSM between 225 and 240 for most cooks.

I think the sub 200 temp is a pellet pooper thing, they're suppose to produce more smoke at low temps. I would guess the pellets smolder. But I can't attest to that.

I set my pellet smoker at 200F for a brisket but went I throw the brisket in the temperature went down to 160 is this normal
Unless I'm cold smoking. 225° is the temp I cook everything at. Beef, pork, poultry and fish all get the same treatment.

As answered before, it is normal for the smoker to lose temp when the lid is opened and cool food is introduced. Just avoid the temptation to increase the temp settings. Let the smoker do its job.

That said, welcome to SMF from Southeast Missouri.

Mac

Like Smokin Okie Smokin Okie said the lower temp for a pellet usually puts off more smells from what I’ve read. I usually do Pork butts between 250-280*now and some times it even climbs higher. That’s one cut of meat I don’t really pay attention to after I put it on the kettle. For me it turns out the same no matter the temp as long as I let it get to around 203-205* finished temp.

When a cold large piece of meat gets introduced to a steady temp environment the resulting ambient does go down. Standard occurrence, so no worries. Run it on low setting for a couple of hours then crank it to 250-275º.

When a cold large piece of meat gets introduced to a steady temp environment the resulting ambient does go down. Standard occurrence, so no worries. Run it on low setting for a couple of hours then crank it to 250-275º.
My chamber temp drops a good bit when I add in the protein, especially a pork butt or brisket. That’s a big hunk of meat sucking up the BTUs. I just resist the urge to mess with it and it balances out.
Lots of pellet guys will run at the lowest temps for extra smoke For a couple of hours then crank to their desired cook temp.

Jim

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky