temperature differences on 18.5 wsm top and bottom grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carlo olivares

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Manila, Philippines
Hi guys
i am smoking 5 racks of ribs on my wsm. 2 racks are on the bottom grate, 3 are on the top (using a rib rack).

I have a water pan with water (1/3 full). I am measuring temps using a maverick et 733. Checked thr probes prior to use and they were only off by about a degree from each other.

I am about an hour into my smoke and i cant get the top and bottom grate temps close to each other. I am seeing a 50 degree difference where the bottom grate us 50 degrees cooler. This makes it hard to be at my cooking temp of 250 since that means my top would need to be 300.

Right now my top is 270 and my bottom is 217. Anyone else have problems like this?

I'd agree water related. I smoked two butts awhile back they were close in size and there was no more than a three degree difference in the butts the whole smoke.

I'd agree water related. I smoked two butts awhile back they were close in size and there was no more than a three degree difference in the butts the whole smoke.

Thank you bone. Do you change your process when you Smoke without water? Like do you spray water or juice on the meat more?

I spritz my ribs.  Apple Juice is good, also 50/50  apple juice and apple cider vinegar 

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky