Temperature Control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdbald

Original poster
Nov 3, 2023
New Guy --- I have several questions I could ask, but I think I'll just try 'er one at a time. I have a new Oklahoma Joesoffset vertical Bandera smoker.

If I use just 1-2 gallons of briquettes, what is about the maximum consistent temp I can probably get, 300 deg? 350 deg? Higher?

Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks

Well your temp depends on alot of things not just fuel. It depends on what kind of fuel. Lump charcoal burns hotter. Also airflow. Is your exhaust open all the way. Are your intakes open all the way.

I know when that much fuel theres no reason you can't get to 500° or more with air intakes all the way open.

The best way to know is to fire it up and set the exhaust all the way open and the intakes open. Once you get to where you want it out close the air intakes some and wait 10minutes to see where it holds at. Then close some more and repeat.

After a while you will learn how much fuel and what intake position gets you the desired temp.

Hope that helps.

Well your temp depends on alot of things not just fuel. It depends on what kind of fuel. Lump charcoal burns hotter. Also airflow. Is your exhaust open all the way. Are your intakes open all the way.

I know when that much fuel theres no reason you can't get to 500° or more with air intakes all the way open.

The best way to know is to fire it up and set the exhaust all the way open and the intakes open. Once you get to where you want it out close the air intakes some and wait 10minutes to see where it holds at. Then close some more and repeat.

After a while you will learn how much fuel and what intake position gets you the desired temp.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the response.

So,,, with briquette charcoal, it is reasonable to think I could get up to 500 deg.

With Lump charcoal, what would that (hotter) temp be that could be sustained?

"B"

I've used both and I don't think 500 is out of the question. Maybe a Bandera user can correct me if I'm wrong

I've used both and I don't think 500 is out of the question. Maybe a Bandera user can correct me if I'm wrong
Thank you, sir.

If you have a steady temperature and you add wood, providing you make no other changes, will the temp go up?

Thank you, sir.

If you have a steady temperature and you add wood, providing you make no other changes, will the temp go up?
As fuel.is depleted btu's will drop so will the temp. When you add more fuel btu's will climb. So there will be some fluctuation

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky