temp setting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bosoxfan

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
Due to travel/family spread out, we are doing Thanksgiving today. I put a 22lb turkey in the smoker this morning at 4:30am (Masterbuilt says it should be 30min/lb at 225F).I went out after 3 hours and checked the meat probe and it said it was 180F. What the hell??? I turned the temp down to 180 and have it still in, dinner isn't planned until 5pm. Is it possible my sensor is bad??? Should I open the smoker and do a check on the temp with a different thermometer? I don't want a dried out bird later. (p.s. this is about my 5th bird I've smoked in this smoker and have had them finish early, like 1-1 1/2 hours early, before)

I guess nobody else has ever had this issue? So here's what I did. I did check the temp and it was about right. Dinner wasn't scheduled for several hours, so I turned the smoker temp control down to basically keep the bird warm. I pulled it out at about 11 hours and it was a little dry, but not bad. Not sure why it did this. Will have to play around with it to see if it does it again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky