Temp issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pbrandt

Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
Good morning everyone! New to the group & very new to smoking. I have checked out several threads but still cant seem to understand what I am doing wrong. Just built a smoker out of an old fridge. We are using a 1500 watt double burner coil hot plate. It is taking several hours to get the box up to 275*. We are using the bottom portion (where compressor was) for our heat plate & wood chips. We have a hole cut in the bottom of fridge as wide as the hotplates to let the heat into the box. I am seeing where it should heat up to that temp in a shorter amount of time than it is. We have the below portion enclosed with plywood. I am using a floor vent for my cool air intake which I have about 1/4 of the way open and also using one on the roof for exhaust vent. In order to get the temp to raise I have to have the exhaust completely closed & it still wont get past 215* after 3 hrs. Any idea how to fix this or what I am doing wrong? I'm about ready to lose my mind. Thank you!!!

Sounds like you need a higher wattage burner set up. I use a 1500 watt in a 24" x16" x 36". Works great at lower temps, but can struggle at higher temps.

I was thinking same thing possibly. Heat is very uneven from top to bottom also.

Probably have resolved by now... but I used a 1500W element from a crappy old electric smoker. Mounted angle iron for it to rest on so air can circulate all around it. My unit takes about an hour to get to temperature and will hold steady at 225 to 250. Even in below freezing and windy conditions.
2 inch round vent (unlouvered) with a slightly larger car exhaust pipe for my rooftop exhaust.

Might be able to find just a heating element that would work better for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky