Temp Control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cphelps

Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
My temp is hard to maintain on the hot end of the scale. I have a smoke N Pit and like it, but from what I read it may need tighting up and maybe a fuel besides charcoal. Any thoughts?

Thanks Charlie

I'm not sure I understand your problem... "My temp is hard to maintain on the hot end of the scale"

You mean you can't get it up to 250-ish...or can't keep it down there?

Also, there is a hunk of metal that needs removing when you install the firebox on some models... you do have an open path from firebox to smoker, right?

What you could try to add thermal mass to your smoker is to add fire brick, pottery or a tin of sand to the cooking chamber. This will even out fluctuations you are experiencing.

-rob

Have you done any of the standard horizontal/offset mods? Replace thermometer, stack extension, charcoal basket, baffle, tuning plates? Not so sure you need to seal it up but I suppose you can if you want.

As far as another fuel, I converted mine to propane but it certainly isn't requried. I did it for convenience and because I can't get decent lump in my area.

Give us a little more info and we can help you out a lot more.
biggrin.gif

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky