Temp , again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin_glenn

Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Put a full load of charcoal and 7 lit coals in the middle. Top vent open. 2 vents completely shut and 1 cracked and I'm still running at 260....what am I doing wrong?
I want to run at 225

Ok.

Don't trust the built in therm.Purchase yourself a good quality dual probe therm such as those from ThermoPro or InkBird,Use one for chamber temp (place on the same level as food) and the other for food temp.I think you'll find by doing this you will get much more accurate temp reads.

Ok.

Don't trust the built in therm.Purchase yourself a good quality dual probe therm such as those from ThermoPro or InkBird,Use one for chamber temp (place on the same level as food) and the other for food temp.I think you'll find by doing this you will get much more accurate temp reads.

Close all intake vents (leaving top vent wide open) and see if temps still go up... or come down (as they should).. If going up you have an air leak somewhere.... maybe where they come together at.. does it have a side door.. if so.. maybe there...

Reactions: Smokin_glenn
If it’s a new WSM, they tend to run hot until all the cracks seal up.
But that being said I run my Lang where ever it wants to run. I don’t think you will see much difference between 225 & 275 except the hotter temp will get the meat done sooner. Don’t obsess over the pit temp. If you want to experiment, smoke a butt at 225 and then smoke one at 300. I bet you won’t even notice any difference, except the cook time will be much shorter at the higher temp.
Al

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky