TBS...old school (short and sweet)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Not gonna lie...it's short and sweet, so don't blink! But for any of you that have been here for awhile have probably seen some of my threads on Rendezvous. If not then it's a reenactment of the Lewis and Clark time period. Look them up because they are held all over the U S and go visit! So anyway, last weekend was our 1st event of the season and had double TBS...one was from the campfire and other was from woodstove.

20220430_112445.jpg

Notice the canvass above the firepit...it's seen many years worth of fires!
Next is my honey cooking brunch

20220430_112547.jpg

fried taters, eggs, english muffins and bacon and sausage in the blue enamel pot

20220430_112520.jpg

Oh, and of course, the redneck dutch oven...

20220430_143646.jpg

That is how you improvise when your ham for the camp potluck is too big!

20220430_161520.jpg

I can only begin to tell you how good that ham was! Sorry for no sliced pics but we were in charge of putting this event on and the auction that followed.
We have been doing this for over 30 years and can best explain it by saying it's like a family reunion with the side of the family you like!

On a side note...we are very thankful...our 3 year old Dobie Kya, is on her way back to normal. A few knew about it, but Dan, forktender forktender This is what I meant of pink stitches.

20220502_222051.jpg

After several trips to our vet, and one trip to the Iowa State veterinary medical lab the eye couldn't be saved but we still have a happy young lady at home that is almost back to normal!
Anyways, thanks for looking!

Ryan

Nice thread Ryan . That's a type of cooking I've always wanted to try . I know it all tasted great .
Bummer about the dog . She'll overcome that in no time though .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Sorry about the pup Ryan, but at least she's happy and will adjust. The outing sounds like it was a blast from the past. Good eats, good friends and good fun.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice thread Ryan . That's a type of cooking I've always wanted to try . I know it all tasted great .
Bummer about the dog . She'll overcome that in no time though .
Thanks Rich! The food always tastes so good cooked over the fire! Go dig a pit in your back yard and get a grate and have at it! She's pretty much back to normal already...we're just happy to have her home and healing.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
Sorry about the pup Ryan, but at least she's happy and will adjust. The outing sounds like it was a blast from the past. Good eats, good friends and good fun.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it! And that explains a rendezvous in a nutshell! Maybe should add in good drinks...even if it is too many lol!

Thanks for the likes Norwester55 Norwester55 and Steve H Steve H I appreciate them!

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003
All the food looks amazing! I remember seeing your post on this last year. Sure its a good time had by all.

BUT I don't think they had auctions in the the Lewis and Clark era. And making your old lady bend over a hot camp fire all day to cook your meals too? C'mon bro get your act together! 🤣🤣

All the food looks amazing! I remember seeing your post on this last year. Sure its a good time had by all.

BUT I don't think they had auctions in the the Lewis and Clark era. And making your old lady bend over a hot camp fire all day to cook your meals too? C'mon bro get your act together! 🤣🤣
Thanks bud! Auction hhhmmmm...ok we were bartering lol! And after 30 years I'm not even gonna try to tell my wife what to do :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Not gonna lie...it's short and sweet, so don't blink! But for any of you that have been here for awhile have probably seen some of my threads on Rendezvous. If not then it's a reenactment of the Lewis and Clark time period. Look them up because they are held all over the U S and go visit! So anyway, last weekend was our 1st event of the season and had double TBS...one was from the campfire and other was from woodstove.

View attachment 631001

View attachment 631002

fried taters, eggs, english muffins and bacon and sausage in the blue enamel pot

View attachment 631003

View attachment 631004

View attachment 631005

I can only begin to tell you how good that ham was! Sorry for no sliced pics but we were in charge of putting this event on and the auction that followed.
We have been doing this for over 30 years and can best explain it by saying it's like a family reunion with the side of the family you like!

On a side note...we are very thankful...our 3 year old Dobie Kya, is on her way back to normal. A few knew about it, but Dan, forktender forktender This is what I meant of pink stitches.

View attachment 631006

After several trips to our vet, and one trip to the Iowa State veterinary medical lab the eye couldn't be saved but we still have a happy young lady at home that is almost back to normal!

Ryan
OK, I'll be the one that asks....What is TBS?

Good times and good food with good friends, hard to beat Ryan! Great to see the pup is on the mend too! RAY
Thanks Ray, I appreciate it! We have met awesome people at these events that are great friends and family now. Kinda reminds me of this site!

Ryan

Awesome Ryan! I knew when you sent me the pic it was going to be a cool thread. That looks like so much fun! I don’t think I can get me wife into anything like that, maybe the kids? I think I may did a pit and try that though🤔 my wife would like that!!!!!

Delicious cook in a cool setting with the original Blackstone! Points!

I've got an uncle that does a lot of rendezvous. As simple as it gets. Quite often sleep in a teepee. He makes his own arrow and axe heads and hunts black powder. They are out by St Louis area.

Awesome Ryan! I knew when you sent me the pic it was going to be a cool thread. That looks like so much fun! I don’t think I can get me wife into anything like that, maybe the kids? I think I may did a pit and try that though🤔 my wife would like that!!!!!

Delicious cook in a cool setting with the original Blackstone! Points!
Thanks Jed! You are allowed to let the wife stay home and just bring the kids! I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind a hole in the back yard :emoji_sunglasses:. Maybe if you dig the hole she will agree to the newer style Blackstone!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Ryan that looks great, like the others have said , good friends , food and drink. Lasting memories

Sorry to hear /see about your pup. Glad she is on the mend. If you don't mind what happened with her eye, that they had to remove.
Our little Lola got an ulcer in one eye on a Sunday morning. And it was bad , and the picture I took to show the emergency doctor ( because it happened just as Covid was bad) could not go in so had to send pictures first. Gave her meds/drops 18 times a day 4 different drops. Than they wanted to remove it. Finally got into our vet, and he said let's wait and keep up with the meds the emergency doc gave us. Knock on wood eye is much better ,

David

Thank you David! I appreciate the fine comments!
As far as Kya, her ordeal kinda came as a shock. It started on a Friday afternoon when I noticed her right eyelid about half closed, so Saturday morning we talked to the vet and my wife went and got some ointment for her. By Monday she wasn't doing much better so I took her in, she also had a bump on her front shoulder which ended up being a puncture wound that was starting to fester. So they cleaned that and treated it then dilated her eye to check it but didn't see any damage. By Thursday there was any improvement so back to the vet, switched to a different ointment. On one of those two visits they also had her on antibiotics as well but part of that week was a blur. With several trips to the vet, 6 semi loads of little pigs arrived (4000 head) , and trying to get set up and ready for the rendezvous...about forgot, trying to get started with spring planting of crops as well. To this point there hadn't been any swelling until Saturday morning when it was about double in size so back to the vet again just before noon. We were advised she should go to a specialty clinic in either Ames, and the Iowa State vet clinic or to one in Omaha...both about 3 hours away. Being it was now Saturday afternoon we could only get her an appointment in Ames, 9 am Monday morning. Michelle and her left Sunday afternoon to drive down and stay in a hotel. So after many tests which included an ultrasound and CT scan and some others that I don't know what they are they figured out something had punctured her eye but was no longer there. But it would have to be removed. Thankfully our vet was able to do the surgery on Tuesday afternoon and by Wednesday afternoon she was home, ate, and went outside snooping for varmints again with her older brother. After the surgery the eye was sent back to Ames for study and found out the puncture more than likely started the retina distachment but was made worse by a fungal infection that is going around the state. So she is on pills for that for the next three months. That's the main reason they wanted to study the eye, which if not found could possibly take the other eye or cause issues throughout her body.
So a very long response but she is happy that it's chilly and rainy and I can once again assume the position of Kya's personal doorman! And she didn't have to wear the cone of shame!

Ryan

View attachment 631001

View attachment 631002

View attachment 631003

View attachment 631004

View attachment 631005

View attachment 631006

Ryan
Poor pup...I love Dobbie's!!!
I asked my wife if she used pink stitches on female dogs and cats, she said, no, but she is going to order some now for her hospital.
My wife has been an R.V.T. (reg. vet. tech) for almost 40 years now, she works at an animal Trauma/E.R. hospital that is every bit as advanced as our human Trauma/E.R. care hospitals, they are amazing at what they do.:emoji_thumbsup:

I enjoyed your pics! Nothing better than a meal cooked over a fire!

Our neighbor has a new Doberman puppy named Leo. Leo is already huge and Leo loves us! What a great personality.

Every deer season, on opening day, we fry pork sausage, bacon, whatever on our wood stove in our barn. It is definitely cooking on a way more advanced contraption than what you have lol.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 17
Poor pup...I love Dobbie's!!!
I asked my wife if she used pink stitches on female dogs and cats, she said, no, but she is going to order some now for her hospital.
My wife has been an R.V.T. (reg. vet. tech) for almost 40 years now, she works at an animal Trauma/E.R. hospital that is every bit as advanced as our human Trauma/E.R. care hospitals, they are amazing at what they do.:emoji_thumbsup:
Thank you! And tell your wife thank you as well for the work she does...it means so much to me and many others during times like this!

Ryan

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky