Tasso time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thinking about trying this. Poli uses pork shoulder. I found a recipe in Nola Cuisine that uses "Pork Roast". Isn't that pretty much the same thing?
​I would think its the same thing.  The tasso I made was butt, it had fat running through it.  

I guess it depends on where the roast was cut from.

Thinking about trying this. Poli uses pork shoulder. I found a recipe in Nola Cuisine that uses "Pork Roast". Isn't that pretty much the same thing?
I'm curious too now!  I've had pork pot roasts cooked by my Grandma that were fall apart tender, but not like pulled pork.  A co-worker cooks pork roast on a rotisserie gasser set up and has to truss it to keep it from falling apart.  This roast sounds different from shoulder.

Mike

I'm curious too now!  I've had pork pot roasts cooked by my Grandma that were fall apart tender, but not like pulled pork.  A co-worker cooks pork roast on a rotisserie gasser set up and has to truss it to keep it from falling apart.  This roast sounds different from shoulder.

Mike
Marsh, here in Indy, is calling it " Shoulder Butt Roast". I guess that covers all the bases, LOL!
I'm going with Pork Roast is a fancy way to say Butt [emoji]128522[/emoji]

In reality, tasso was typically made with the scraps of meat that were trimmed during the butchering process.  So pretty much anything will work, even the fatty stuff will smoke and keep for stews, soups, etc...

In reality, tasso was typically made with the scraps of meat that were trimmed during the butchering process.  So pretty much anything will work, even the fatty stuff will smoke and keep for stews, soups, etc...
Yeah, that's what I've read about scraps. I picked up an 8# butt this afternoon and am getting ready to mix the rub.I figure after trimming I'll have a good 5#. I'm going with Mr Poli's recipe as well and will use #1 cure. Did you run the spices mix through a grinder to powder like he did?

Dan

Yeah, that's what I've read about scraps. I picked up an 8# butt this afternoon and am getting ready to mix the rub.I figure after trimming I'll have a good 5#. I'm going with Mr Poli's recipe as well and will use #1 cure. Did you run the spices mix through a grinder to powder like he did?

Dan
Yep, I run them through a coffee grinder and get a pretty fine powder out of it then coat the crap out of the strips, bag them up and then I let them go for at least a week in the frig, turning daily.

Want to know a secret, if you make up a batch of this seasoning mix, and you leave out the cure, it makes a KILLER steak seasoning!

Yep, I run them through a coffee grinder and get a pretty fine powder out of it then coat the crap out of the strips, bag them up and then I let them go for at least a week in the frig, turning daily.

Want to know a secret, if you make up a batch of this seasoning mix, and you leave out the cure, it makes a KILLER steak seasoning!
I'll bet it does! After I dumped everything in a bowl the Mrs walks in and says "What's this? Does it need mixed up? Smells good!".

Well I didn't know what it was so the ol google machine found it for me.  It looks wonderful and now that I'm reading various uses for it I'm thinking mmmmmm that will go good with all kinds of beer and things..... just saying thx. for more ideas..... 

Yep. Me too.

After reading all about tasso--beef and pork--it's definitely on my short list.

Great post Charlie. Thanks!!!

Gary

Did this Tasso in the fall of 2015, used pork butt slices. Tried to use as lean as possible.
Combined a couple recipes, overall ingredients & instructions.
Did grind in spice grinder & as was said coated each piece heavy with the rub.
Not sure what happened with no pics out of smoker, maybe time constraints but couldn't find any on phone.
But it was great and had a nice kick. All who tasted it, loved it, as a unique piece of smoked meat you don't see everyday in Ohio here.
I'll look through notes for recipe/ingredients used. I do remember it used a good amount of white pepper & all spice, along with cayenne & I believe it was either ancho or chipotle.
(Use both regularly)
It was quite good.
It did sit with rub coating on it, on the racks before hot smoking.

Good luck & stay safe!!

I slice it up for snacks sometimes, but most of the time I use it to flavor a pot of beans.

This meat has a HEAVY coating of spices on it and will spice up a pot of pintos quite well.  I've also used it shredded in omelets 

Besides your basic breakfast meats I've never thought of using left overs off the smoker for omelets, sounds good though. Maybe my next brisket I will try it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky