Tasso time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tasso Sausage.... mmmm That sounds very appetizing.......  I just wondering if you guys are trying to make my list of things to do this spring longer on purpose????

Going to make smoked andouille & Tasso
Jambalaya Thursday night for Tailgate cook-off at work Friday. I post pictures when done.
Happy smokin!!

Going to make smoked andouille & Tasso
Jambalaya Thursday night for Tailgate cook-off at work Friday. I post pictures when done.
Happy smokin!!

Hey brother, you're kicking out some good smokes!

Make yourself a new thread for them. You won't get the recognition you deserve tagging them here.

Let me know if you need a hand starting one. It's confusing at first, but after the first one it gets real simple.

Last edited:
I will try posting new thread from work computer tomorrow. To hard navigating on phone. Really appreciate the offer. Thanks bro.
Happy smokin!

I will try posting new thread from work computer tomorrow. To hard navigating on phone. Really appreciate the offer. Thanks bro.
Happy smokin!

Yep, phone is a PITA for sure!

Love what you've done so far, and looking forward to more!

Gonna go in now and start some biltong!

Trouble makers
Think we need to change his name from cranky?? 
laugh1.gif

Warren

Try making some beef tasso, it too is great stuff!

Hmm, tasso sausage.....
what cut of beef do you use to make beef tasso?

and as far as curing did you just add it to the seasoning or did you brine it with the cure #1

only reason Im asking is cause Poli's recipe doesn't have any instruction on the cure part, just that he is using cure #2

what cut of beef do you use to make beef tasso?
and as far as curing did you just add it to the seasoning or did you brine it with the cure #1

only reason Im asking is cause Poli's recipe doesn't have any instruction on the cure part, just that he is using cure #2

Chuck roast works great for beef Tasso.

If you're using Poli's recipe, it's a dry cure. I suggest #1 since you're only curing a short time, and I suggest a minimum of a weeks worth of cure time.

Slice the meat up, rub the seasoning mix, with the cure added, all over the meat, place the meat into a ziplock, refrigerate, and flip and massage through the bag daily.

Once the week is up, hang, or lay on racks, in the smoker, start the smoker at 130 for 2 hours with no smoke, after 2 hours, add smoke and raise the temp to 140, each half hour after that, raise the temp by 10 degrees until your pit temp is 170. Continue to smoke at 170 until the internal temp of the Tasso is 150.

After hitting an IT of 150, remove from the smoker and let rest until cool. Then vac pack, or other prep for refrigeration or freezing.

Pecan is the traditional smoke for Tasso, but I've found hickory to be a really nice flavor for it.

Chuck roast works great for beef Tasso.

If you're using Poli's recipe, it's a dry cure. I suggest #1 since you're only curing a short time, and I suggest a minimum of a weeks worth of cure time.

Slice the meat up, rub the seasoning mix, with the cure added, all over the meat, place the meat into a ziplock, refrigerate, and flip and massage through the bag daily.

Once the week is up, hang, or lay on racks, in the smoker, start the smoker at 130 for 2 hours with no smoke, after 2 hours, add smoke and raise the temp to 140, each half hour after that, raise the temp by 10 degrees until your pit temp is 170. Continue to smoke at 170 until the internal temp of the Tasso is 150.

After hitting an IT of 150, remove from the smoker and let rest until cool. Then vac pack, or other prep for refrigeration or freezing.

Pecan is the traditional smoke for Tasso, but I've found hickory to be a really nice flavor for it.

Thanks man. Ive made tasso just never used the cure. Gonna check dat out next time i need a batch.

You are correct on the hickory.
Pecan or oak is my go to for tasso but had to use hickory since it was all i had. Turned out great and the older cajun folk liked it better so i guess hickory does somethin pecan and oak dont [emoji]128540[/emoji]

Thanks for the curing tips
Ant

Looks Really Good CB

Why do you use  Cure #1 and when you say hung up for 18 hours is this in a controlled chamber or just room temperature air drying?

Thanks

mds51

Looks Really Good CB

Why do you use  Cure #1 and when you say hung up for 18 hours is this in a controlled chamber or just room temperature air drying?

Thanks

mds51
I use cure #1 because this is a relatively short cure and smoke process, the nitrate isn't required for this style of meat. 

I hung the cured strips in my kitchen for 18 hours to dry before I began the smoke process.  The meat was cured and the drying process was no different than if I were hanging my biltong to dry.

Now, in hind sight, the 18 hours drying process didn't make much difference to this batch, I'm now back to letting it hang at room temp for a couple of hours and then into the pit with heat, but no smoke for 2 hours to dry a bit before the smoke begins.

Reactions: scrantny
Your tasso kooks great Cranky  
points1.png
  I accidentally bought turkey tasso yesterday, the texture was way too soft.

Mike

Thank you for the explanation on the Cure 1 and the Drying technique. I want to make this since you cannot find good Tasso or Andouille in Oklahoma City. I lived in New Orleans for 4 years and miss the good food I used to enjoy while working there . Some of the best fishing and cuisine I have ever experienced.

mds51

Thinking about trying this. Poli uses pork shoulder. I found a recipe in Nola Cuisine that uses "Pork Roast". Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky