Tasso Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosparky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 11, 2015
St. Louis area, Missouri
Somehow I got interested in Tasso. Seems most are using Len Poli's recipe. The curing has me slightly confused. It appears you mix the cure 1 in with the rest of the seasonings and apply to the Pork (beef). I question if I am to trust that the cure is evenly distributed throughout the blend and that I will get enough on each individual piece or is there an unmentioned step to applying the cure first ?
I have seen one mention that sounded like a wet cure for 7 days and then season.
Also one question about making it with TQ instead of cure 1 but no mention where anyone has done it.

... And here I thought a tasso was what the girls wore in a topless joint.
Apparently I opened the wrong door, again... :rolleyes:

But I can search... Tasso.

Mo Sparky, morning... If you mix and grind the spices and herbs, like in the directions... mix all the ingredients and grind to a powder in a coffee grinder... and you are using his measurements 5#'s of meat cut into strips... dredged etc... The recipe is good to go...

If you make 3#'s of Tasso... Make the recipe as is and use 3/5's of the mix... you will need a grams scale, 0-100 grams or use 3/5's of the volume... weight measure is best... Saving the remaining mix for more than a few days is not recommended by someone ... I can't remember who but they say cure mixed with seasonings will degrade... a good rule to follow..

I do have a Gram Scale per your recommendation over a year ago. Awesome unit, I should have gotten one years ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky